Blue Springs Flood Photos and Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the update, I take it you nor Wally will be around for the fish fry at FRP Sunday.

I can't speak for Wally but I won't be able to make it down to Joe's tomorrow.

Just got back from diving in Blue today. All I can suggest is not to waste your gasoline, air, or money. The viz at the best spot was 5 feet and in some cases it was less than a foot! The temps were a lot lower than in past Sept I am sure because of the lack of sun penetration. All the platforms were covered in an inch or 2 of silt and the roads are only able to be safely driven on in a truck or suv.
The dozers were working on everything pushing dirt here to there, but there is a LOT of work to do yet. My next dive trip will have to be to Falling Rock or something.

Sorry for the bad review....

Went over and met 1969ivan at Blue springs in Waldren and I have to agree with him. I am going to photobucket some video of the dive. It is like diving in "ichy Licky lake".:D They have a trememndous amount of fingerling bass that will possibly survive and it might be a worth while fishing hole in the future. What really got me is that he still readily took my 20 bucks for a nickels worth of dive site. So I will travel North and spend less to get in and put the money in gas. My video camera even quit as it did not like the viz either. :coffee:

Last edited:
Went over and met 1969ivan at Blue springs in Waldren and I have to agree with him. I am going to photobucket some video of the dive. It is like diving in "ichy Licky lake".:D They have a trememndous amount of fingerling bass that will possibly survive and it might be a worth while fishing hole in the future. What really got me is that he still readily took my 20 bucks for a nickels worth of dive site. So I will travel North and spend less to get in and put the money in gas. My video camera even quit as it did not like the viz either. :coffee:

Your first time to Blue Springs I see. :wink:

Went over and met 1969ivan at Blue springs in Waldren and I have to agree with him. I am going to photobucket some video of the dive. It is like diving in "ichy Licky lake".:D They have a tremendous amount of fingerling bass that will possibly survive and it might be a worth while fishing hole in the future. What really got me is that he still readily took my 20 bucks for a nickels worth of dive site. So I will travel North and spend less to get in and put the money in gas. My video camera even quit as it did not like the viz either. :coffee:

Good thing he didn't charge you extra for the fish. The most fish that I have seen in there at one time was 6. Of course that was my first time there (OW class).

Well I'm in Bloomington for the week and didn't feel like spending the evening in my hotel room so I drove on out to Blue Springs to check out conditions for myself and go for a dive. I've dove here around 10x over the past 5 years or so with my last visit in November 2007.

Soon after arriving and beginning to unpack down by the Central Beach area, Rick came down on his front loader. He essentially recapped the same story as the OP of this thread and said he was working hard to clean it up. He was certainly working late this evening as he was still working away at 7:45 pm as I entered the water.

I was originally going to go straight over to the first buoy and see what underwater attraction was there but after dropping down to 20' I still couldn't see anything and thought it best to head closer to shore where I could follow the rocks and not bang into anything that might catch me by surprise. I held position at 20' for 28 minutes as I slowly progressed along the inner shore. It was a strange dive as there is so much silt and so much particulants in the water and then areas would open up to viz of 10-15' in parts. Though I was holding 20', the temperatures ranged from 79 to 66 F. The only notable attraction I passed was the railroad crossing sign at the 18 minute mark and this was actually above me at around a 16' depth. The granites were fascinating as most were deeply covered in silt and some branches around them had long trails of webbing and silt. It was very dark though I had a 35 W HID. After 28 minutes I could see down pretty deep that there was much greater viz so I dropped down to 37' and it opened right up with viz easily reaching 30'! Unfortunately the water temperature also dropped considerably from 72 to 51 F! Though I had a light hood and reef gloves and a dry suit, the sharp cold was more than I wanted to bear so I only stayed below 25' for 8 minutes as I made my turn to return. I maintained the same 20' position for my return where surprisingly I came up exactly where I entered.

Blue Spring is certainly going to require more time before it can be a regular dive outing, particularly for new divers and check-out dives. I did see a number of very large bass, bluegills and perch, much more than I ever recall during past visits. I'm glad that I went out and might go again later in the week, except next time I'll bring my heavy hood and gloves!

I'm glad you went out and enjoyed your self.

I'm planning on trying out Sunset Lake in Linton this evening but would like to return to Blue Springs on either Thursday or Friday evening as I begin my trip back to New England.

I'm planning on trying out Sunset Lake in Linton this evening but would like to return to Blue Springs on either Thursday or Friday evening as I begin my trip back to New England.

Let us know how it is. Last time I was there was in Jan. Water temps were around 38 F and the viz was maybe 5'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom