Blue Springs Flood Photos and Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK so who lives the closest or drives that way and is willing take a peek? If they have the proof there shouldn't be any issue with us seeing it. Everyone want to know but nobody is willing to go. Everything that is being posted is "I heard or was told in an email."

Cough..cough...Divin'Hoosier...cough :D

Cough..cough...Divin'Hoosier...cough :D

I'm currently planning on stopping by next Sat, 8/30. I'm also going to bring my gear. If things look good, I'll give it a try. If they don't, I'll certainly pass.

BryceM had posted about going today. Maybe he'll post what he saw.

I indeed dove Blue springs on sunday the 24. I got there about 2pm and found Rick at central beach on a bulldozer working at adding to the lower parking area.

I had never met him before, we talked for several minutes about the progress that had been made and what still needed to be done. Rick's nephew who worked the gate has left. Most of the work that has been done has been a one man project.

There are 2 docks at the central beach, a new one near the bouy for the armored car and the older one near the shelter. 2 other docks are out of the water and looks like one is being repaired.

The changing rooms still need the dried mud removed from the benches.

The water level is still above the normal level. I'm guessing about 1-2 feet. The concrete steps are under water with an 1-2 inch covering of silt.

The north beach area has not seen much if any work done to it. It still has water covering alot of the parking area. You still have room to park several cars. The dock is still on top of the shelter and the inside of it is a wreck.

I'm adding several pics of the topside view.(if I can figure out how)

The underwater report will be comming shortly.

Attachments

• 08 001.jpg
    08 001.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 08 002.jpg
    08 002.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 08 003.jpg
    08 003.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 71
  • 08 029.jpg
    08 029.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 08 030.jpg
    08 030.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 65
I ended up doing one dive while I was at BSQ. I went off the new dock near the armored car. I went to various places near the central beach area. My dive time was 43 minutes with a max depth of 34 feet. I dropped down the line to the armored car, it was covered with a couple of inches of silt.

The viz varies depending on where you are and your depth. The best viz was above the thermocline and along the wall. It was aprox 10-15 feet in this area. In the deeper parts the viz was less. You couldn't see from the 30ft depth down to bottom like you could before.

As I was swimming along about 20ft there were times that you sort of entered a cloud.

I saw more fish yesterday than I had in a long time both large and small,most were along the wall.

As I was driving over to the north beach I saw a wild turkey fly over my truck after I scared it. Very cool!

All in all, I had a good dive. It's good to see that BSQ is starting to come back. Is it perfect? NO. Is it as good as before the flood? NO.

It will take some time until it is what we all remember. It will take a lot of work from Rick and I'm sure some help from all of us.

Attachments

• 08 006.jpg
    08 006.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 08 007.jpg
    08 007.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 08 008.jpg
    08 008.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 08 009.jpg
    08 009.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 08 010.jpg
    08 010.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 08 012.jpg
    08 012.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 08 017.jpg
    08 017.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 08 021.jpg
    08 021.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 08 022.jpg
    08 022.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 08 027.jpg
    08 027.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 52
Thanks for the update Bryce. Did Rick say anything about water quality testing?

I wonder if the flood brought in some additional fish? Wouldn't that be a cool silver lining if it helped to establish a strong ecosystem in the quarry.

Thanks for the update Bryce. Did Rick say anything about water quality testing?

I wonder if the flood brought in some additional fish?

I was thinking the same thing.

The subject of water testing didn't come up and I forgot to ask until I was done but Rick had already left.

I'm feeling great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom