Blue Springs - Orange City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hope this is the right section for this thread.

I've been to many of the springs in N. Fla. On my next trip in May I was wondering if it would be worth it to take an excursion to Blue Springs - Orange City? How is the diving there?

Blue Springs, Orange City is good for a few dives. It's a lot of fun and safe enough because the overhead area is very limited. Most of the diving area is in OW. The issue there is the flow up out of the hole. Going into Blue Spring can be like upside down underwater rock climbing. You must have a dive buddy otherwise they won't even let you sign in to the park.

It may not be all that exciting compared to some places in Florida, but it's fun and, most importantly, CHEAP! About $10 per diver, if I remember correctly. Worth diving at least once, yeah.

I dive there frequently in the summer because it's only 30 minutes away and its the closest, cheapest diving available for most of the year. :wink:

The flow /is/ really strong, I gotta agree. I'm a small person and it blows me around like hubcap in a hurricane, ha!

=)

Edit: Durrr... I didn't realize this was in the tech forums. I thought it was in the FL forum, silly me. I have no experience from that diving angle, but the same opinion still stands. =)

Last edited:
It's a lot of fun. It's the closest "hole" to us in Orlando, and if we have no where else to go we'll head that way. Nice for cavern divers, no real cave to speak of, but pretty nice depth. Goes to about 70-80 feet (depending on water level) in OW.

it's fun to sit on the bottom and goof around.
i have some weird stuff on the wetnotes from the last time lol

I have relatives in that area and occasionally dive there. One thing to be aware of, they sometimes don't allow diving in the winter if the manatees have taken over the area. I've schlepped all my gear over there (including a rented tank) only to be told I couldn't dive.

It is a nice dive. Call ahead to check about the manatees so you don't waste a trip. Bring a buddy. It's a bit of a walk down the boardwalk to the drop in point, then a bit further walking down the run. Stay far right when walking in the run.

The "sign" is at ~60'. There are lots of nooks and crannies to explore above 60'. You just have to look for them. Visibility varies from great to milky. Beyond the sign, you can go to about 110' to a small spherical room with a blowing hole at the bottom. The flow directly over the hole will blow your mask off. I don't know of anyone who has gone beyond there.

Once you complete your dive in the hole, plan a second "dive" using the reserves left in your tank, and ride the run down to the second set of stairs. It's a nice dive, with lots of fish. No effort is required. Most days, it seems like you're riding down a slow water slide :) You could stand up pretty much anywhere along the route if needed.

Have fun!
Shirley

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom