Blue Springs Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Land Locked:
Do they pose a risk to any local species? We need some scrubbers!:D
\

Yes, the zebra muscle block the sun light and ruin all vegetation in UW. Hence, there is nothing UW species can eat. It has been a big issue in Great lakes. The viz was getting better though. In addition, recently, there is some issue about a bacteria growth due to the bird **** or any unknown source.

hoosier:
I think every quarry and lake in mid-west have a turn over so that the viz used to be bad depending on the month. :confused:

As I recall, BS is feed by three springs....

Good points WT. What I meant was that quarries and most lakes have a very slow turnover compared to say the St. Lawrence or the Ocean. That is a key driver in the drastic thermocline(s) that form. The turnover is very slow and layers of differing temperature develop and persist for weeks and even months.

I was with a group of seven divers that did two dives yesterday at Blue Springs. Temps were up to 57 above 20' but are still 42-43 below. We did one late afternoon dive and one night dive. The weather was just fantastic!

Divin'Hoosier:
I was with a group of seven divers that did two dives yesterday at Blue Springs. Temps were up to 57 above 20' but are still 42-43 below. We did one late afternoon dive and one night dive. The weather was just fantastic!

Wow... Seven divers.... I envy you...... Yes, it was a great day.....

The bottom temp is all year around.

Cheers!

HP is now 10 bucks. The pond scum is what stopped us, we would have used it with the 8' vis, but the scum floatilla's turned my stomach. There are 4 units working in HP, and they said they were going to disperse them more. I sure hope they get the vis up, it'd be a great place to train OW students and such.

Was able to dive Sunday at HP. No pond scum on the surface, but vis was only 5ft. Big problem was the snakes laying on the upper dock and rocks in the sun. First time I have ever seen snakes there! Other then that had a great time diving.

moonlight:
Was able to dive Sunday at HP. No pond scum on the surface, but vis was only 5ft. Big problem was the snakes laying on the upper dock and rocks in the sun. First time I have ever seen snakes there! Other then that had a great time diving.

OMG. Min will get crazy...........:D

Divin'Hoosier:
In your dreams! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Min talked about a snake at the dive site. But, We haven't seen any wild animals at the diving site, even at the lake.

She will be in panic. :wink:

hoosier:
\

Yes, the zebra muscle block the sun light and ruin all vegetation in UW. Hence, there is nothing UW species can eat. It has been a big issue in Great lakes. The viz was getting better though. In addition, recently, there is some issue about a bacteria growth due to the bird **** or any unknown source.

Hoosier,
Just a clarification on Zebra Muscles. Zebra muscles are equally devastating to the ecosystem. They colonize on native muscles, killing them. They eat virtually anything suspended in the water, meaning algae, bacteria, protozoa, phytoplankton and all manner of important little microscopic creatures. This deprives other microscopic organism - dependent species like native muscles, minnows and baby fish. With these particles filtered out the water properties change, such as altered oxygen levels and sunlight penetrating deeper. Zebra muscles literally rebuild the entire aquatic habitat, usually to the detriment of native species.

Best,
Dwight

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom