Blue XT~Sea/Occidental Grand Trip Report June 8-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Martha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Arrived in Cozumel Wed. afternoon w/ all our luggage. Took the shuttle to the Occidental Grand. Very nice hotel. Went into town to check in with Christi. It was very nice meeting her after reading so much about her and her shop on this board. Unfortunately her boat, "Shamu", was out of the water while we were there, getting routine maintenance done (painting, etc...), so we were unable to meet Mago. Next time...
6/9-Boat picked us up ~ 8:30 or so. Javier was our DM. Wayne and Kelly from OH were also on the boat. Super nice people! First dive was Palancar Gardens. Great dive! Saw a turtle, large grouper, a huge parrotfish, lots of different fish. Great swim throughs. It's great to be back in Cozumel! 2nd dive-Dalila Reef. Saw a spotted eagle ray, yellow stingray, baby turtle, lobster, the list goes on and on...Surfaced to "the perfect storm" as my husband says (very rough water and heavy rain). Luckily, staying at the Occidental Grand, we didn't have far to travel, unfortunately the others on the boat weren't so lucky and said that it was a rough ride back to their hotel.
6/10-Port was closed early (don't know why, it was worse the previous day) Anyway, went out around 10:00 or so. Pedro was our DM. First dive was Santa Rosa Wall. Beautiful dive! Lots of fish and coral formations! 2nd dive-Cedral Wall. Saw turtles, groupers, and lots of other fish. 3rd dive (Night dive)-Paradise Reef (Javier DM). Met the boat at Fiesta Americana. Excellent dive. Saw a huge green moray, several octopus, the biggest crabs I have ever seen, lobsters and squid. Great dive! Christi was so nice, she picked us up after the dive and drove us back to our hotel in her new truck. Her new truck is VERY nice!
6/11-Boat picked us up at 8:15. First dive, Palancar Breaks. (Pedro DM).This was one of my favorite dives. I loved the swim throughs & coral formations. Saw 2 spotted eagle rays & many turtles. Pedro said it was 7, although nobody but him saw the "7th" one. Lots of fish. Pedro found a nudibranch. Boy, does he have good eyes. Those are tiny! 2nd dive-Paso del Cedral. Lots of fish and Pedro found a Flamingo Tongue Cowrie. Very cool!
6/12-Boat picked us up at 8:15. Javier DM. First dive-Palancar Caves. I also loved this dive. The caves and swim throughs were awesome. There weren't as many fish, but it had very nice coral formations. Beautiful dive!
2nd dive-last dive for this trip:( The end of Palancar Reef. Javier said the name, but I didn't get what he said. We saw 3 spotted eagle rays, tons of fish, and a huge crab. I didn't get to see a seahorse this time, but Javier said that next time I come, he'll find me one. I'm going to hold him to that, so I hope he was serious!
After diving, we took the ferry across to Playa del Carmen. It was a fun little adventure. We ate surf and turf at Limones. I highly recommend it. It was delicious!
As for the Occidental Grand. We enjoyed our stay there. The buffets had tons of different kinds of food, so you could always find something to eat. My husband and I both thought the food was good, with the exception of the specialty restaurant, "Sonora Grill". The salad there was great, but the steak and ribs weren't so hot. The other specailty restaurant, "Los Olivos" was excellent. The only other negative about the hotel was the pillows (too much loft). I found one I could use, but my husband didn't sleep very good the whole time. He said next time he's bringing his own pillow. Our next trip, we're going to take Christi's advice and stay closer to town, so we can dive some of the other sites that were too far from our hotel to go to this time around. All in all, it was our best vacation yet and we were sad to have it come to an end. We loved diving with Blue XT~Sea. Pedro and Javier were both wonderful. Christi runs an awesome dive shop!!! Thanks Christi for a great dive trip!

I forgot to include in the trip report that my husband took lots of pictures. When he gets them posted, I'll include a link to the site.

Wow, sounds wonderful. My husband are heading down in July and diving with Christie. I have had my OW for two years now, but still rather new. I have not had the courage to do a night dive, do you think it is worth the consideration.

fishfry2:
Wow, sounds wonderful. My husband are heading down in July and diving with Christie. I have had my OW for two years now, but still rather new. I have not had the courage to do a night dive, do you think it is worth the consideration.

I was diving w/ BXTS in March - my boyfriend and I did our AOW in Czm...Part of AOW is a night dive...I got in the water at dusk and was PETRIFIED to go down into the DARK abyss...I got down to about 4 feet and was like, NO F*N WAY am I going down there..., but Javier ( one of BXTS dive masters) basically 'held my hand' decending. Once I got down I was fine, but when the dive was over I said NEVER AGAIN...Im going back to coz in August and a night dive is DEFINATLY on my list :) Yes, its worth it once you get over your initial fears...

Cozoholic:
I was diving w/ BXTS in March - my boyfriend and I did our AOW in Czm...Part of AOW is a night dive...I got in the water at dusk and was PETRIFIED to go down into the DARK abyss...I got down to about 4 feet and was like, NO F*N WAY am I going down there..., but Javier ( one of BXTS dive masters) basically 'held my hand' decending. Once I got down I was fine, but when the dive was over I said NEVER AGAIN...Im going back to coz in August and a night dive is DEFINATLY on my list :) Yes, its worth it once you get over your initial fears...

Thanks for the laugh!

It's definitely worth doing a night dive. I think you'll love it once you're down there.

My husband has his AOW and he has tried to convince me to do one at the lake. But, water was to cold for this warm water wussie. Or WWW around here. I did get my OW at a area lake and the viz was 2ft during our skill test. I keep telling myself that if I got through that, I could do this. May ask Christie about the possibility?

fishfry2:
My husband has his AOW and he has tried to convince me to do one at the lake. But, water was to cold for this warm water wussie. Or WWW around here. I did get my OW at a area lake and the viz was 2ft during our skill test. I keep telling myself that if I got through that, I could do this. May ask Christie about the possibility?

Javier is EXCELLENT - Would HIGHLY recommend doing it w/ BXTS/Javier.

fishfry2:

I like Night dives. it's no big deal once your down there and with 6 - 10 other divers around, there are lights everywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom