BlueFire 5000 Lumens Diving Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r3schultz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Curious to know if anyone has experience with this light. Found on Amazon for $185.99, seems to be the same light as "12000LM-10x-XM-L2-LED-18650" as found on E-Bay for @$84.00.

https://www.amazon.c...d=2TWEVCYH9FVU7

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The claimed Lumens value seems ridiculous but for $85 I can afford 5 or 6 of these lights or one Light and Motion product.

Of course it might get up to 12000LM if you were somehow able to ignite the aluminum housing.o_O

I bought two lights like these for 57$ each when they first started appearing on ebay/aliexpress. They're very bright, not 12000LM but 5000-6000LM seems plausible with freshly charged batteries. The output will diminish with the voltage of the batteries though. I left one light in a bucket of water on the highest setting, after 1.5 hours the light was still burning but the brightness was maybe 10% of what it was initially.

It is likely that the lights that are sold on ebay/aliexpress/amazon are earlier rejected versions of the light macado linked to above. I did buy a third light as a backup, but only one of my three lights have been working without any major issues.

I usually turn the lights on at the surface and leave them on for the remainder of the dive. However, with one of the lights I originally bought the button that controls the white led's will get pushed by the water pressure at around 25 meters depth, this turns the light off. The other two lights doesn't have this issue but the body/tail on the third light I bought is slightly shorter than on the other two and it doesn't make a proper connection with the board in the head unless you remove the innermost o-ring. What I did instead was using the body from the light with the faulty button, together with head from the light which had a shorter body.

I don't think you'll find a brighter video light than this one for less money, but the likelihood of receiving a faulty product is very high. If you decide to buy this light, make sure to buy it from a highly rated seller who will replace a faulty product.

There's a thread a few posts bellow which was started by me, in which there's a video that was shot using these lights.

Update on my post above:

I contacted the sellers about the problems I've been having with these lights. One of the sellers sent a replacement light after asking a couple of questions. I had to pay $8 for shipping, but the shipping time was only a few days so I'm fine with that.
The buttons on this light has much more resistance, compared to my other three lights, and I don't think they'll get pushed from recreational depths.

For anyone considering buying one of these lights, contact the seller beforehand to make sure you get a light with stiffer buttons.

The claimed Lumens value seems ridiculous but for $85 I can afford 5 or 6 of these lights or one Light and Motion product.

In my experience, you get what you pay for. A while back I bought several hand held lights, similar to the "Goldengulf" on that Amazon link's "also viewed." I thought I was the smartest noodle when I discovered the same light as XYZ manufacturer for half the price! No surprise they were knock offs made in China. They worked well at first but one by one flooded, had sticky light switches, or came with batteries that did not hold a charge.

Also keep in mind that not all lumen ratings are tested the same. Some test on the surface to get the highest rating. Others, will test at depth in the water. The legit ones have a tendency to specify the testing parameters while the knock offs are unsurprisingly silent.

My company is a dealer for both Light & Motion and Big Blue Dive Lights and I have lots of experience with both brands. L&M is a solid light but you're certainly going to pay for it. My current video and primary lights are Big Blues and I have been extremely happy with them for the price!

I ordered two of the bluefire clones via Ebay. One of them shut down at ~70 ft cause the buttons got pressed in. This light also isn't working with soshine 18650 batteries I ordered seperately. Lights switch on and instant off. The second light I couldn't bring to depth yet but at least the soshine's are working with it. Yesterday I ordered two more from aliexpress for ~65$ each. Gonna pick those that are working and will sell those that aren't giving informations on max. working depth. At the bottom line those lights are still valuable even if you have to buy some more. By the way, the lights are on sale ~65$ at aliexpress at the moment.

So I took a gamble and ordered a couple of these video lights at 65usd/each from one of the many Chinese suppliers on AliExpress. They are very bright. I figured I had maybe a 50/50 chance of them working and not flooding instantly :)

Here's the supplier I used..
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wat...raphy-Flashlight-Light-Torch/32778862711.html

They are clearly either an OEM or updated clone copy of the Nemo video lights.

The ones I got have an updated switch design (different from original AND updated Nemo light switches). I actually emailed the AliExpress supplier and they confirmed with me they use updated switches. Not sure if they were lying but it appears at least the ones I got have the good switches.

Anyway I used them on 105ft wreck dive this past weekend. They turn on/off fine at 100ft. I'm hoping they work at 200ft since I bought them for my Great Lakes trip next month.

Here's the video with those lights. As you can see lots of backscatter. We had about 35-40ft of visibility. I need to get longer arms and work on better light placement but overall I am happy with these lights, provided they continue to function.

The claimed Lumens value seems ridiculous

It says they use XM-L2 LED emitters for the white light. Those emitters are capable of putting out over 1000 lumens each (per Cree specs). It has 10 of them. So, a claim of an actual 5000 lumens seems quite plausible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom