blurred photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karloss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sorry I don't have any pics to post as an example however I was having problems with my PM1 blurring on several photos. I even changed my stabilizer from off to all three of the other settings only to still have the blurring. It seems to only happen on photos of a distance from 3' and beyond. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Manual mode is all I can say for certain. I'm not sure if the blur occurred all at the same shutter speeds or not. I do try to stay at 8 and F22 then adjust from there.

Camera shake and out of focus are the most common reasons for blurry photos. Moving subjects also are high on that list.

An old rule of thumb says that your slowest shutter speed should be the inverse of focal lenght multiplied with crop factor. So an E-PM1 with a 60mm should be shot at max 1/125 second. If you use strobes and an exposure that renders your background black, forget shutter speed as an issue.

Underwater, backscatter can cause significant losses of acuity, giving an impression of lost sharpness. Have you tried pixel-peeping at 100% magnification? Pulling the blacks, and increasing contrast and clarity (local contrast)?

Be sure to freeze motion, both the subject's and the camera's, have enough DOF and nail the focus, and you should get sharp pictures. If not, it may be time to check if the gear is working propoerly.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Last edited:
About 2 years ago I posted a similar question thinking my image softness and blur may have been an image stabilization issue. The blur in my case was due to the setting for Release Priority (RLS S Priority) set to on which allowed the shutter to trigger without a focus lock. That is now set to OFF and I have had much fewer blurred images. This is on an EPL-1.

EDIT TO ADD: I shoot manual at 1/125 to 160 and F/8 to F/11 with S&S strobe set to S-TTL.

Manual mode is all I can say for certain. I'm not sure if the blur occurred all at the same shutter speeds or not. I do try to stay at 8 and F22 then adjust from there.

Can you clarify? You cannot set at both f/8 and f/22....do mean you vary between those two limits?
Look at the metadata on your blurred pix; what is the shutter speed? If not 1/125 or better, 1/200 or faster, that is likely your problem.
I am assuming ambient light?
If it is only happening on pictures 3 ft away or further, it sounds like your strobe/video-light (if you are using one) is not strong enough, and you are effectively using just ambient light. At the small apertures (like f/22!) your shutter speed is very slow, and the picture WILL be blurred from a combination of camera movement and subject movement. Look carefully at the the blur: if it is in all things in the scene, it is camera movement; if it is of just the subject, it is subject movement. Either way, you must use a faster shutter speed.

Give up on the small apertures....shoot wide-open (f/4?) if you must to get a good exposure at a high shutter speed. If there is camera movement, the amount of depth-of-field (from the small aperture) is irrelevant. If the picture is sharp from a high shutter speed, then focus on the eyeball and let the rest of it go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom