Boat Dive Outfits on The Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68:
Hi or rather Aloha! :) My wife and I are going to be on The Big Island in February and We are looking for a top knotch Boat Dive Company. I actually got certified in The Big Island years ago. Anyway, we are staying up at The Mauna Kea so we want to do a couple dives up that way and a couple dives around Kona and of course the Manta night dive. Who should we book with?

Thanks so much!
-Chris

My mother lives in Kona, so we go a couple of times a year to visit her & always go diving. We have tried several outfits, and have finally settled on Pacific Rim divers: http://www.pacificrimdivers.com/Page.html
They are small, owned by a couple, Patrice leads the dives, and she really knows the reef, and where to find stuff!!! Each time we have gone out with her, we have seen 2 or 3 times as much stuff as with any one else. Small six-pack boat, and Patrice makes great brownies! Divng is more individualized with them than with the larger outfits. Patrice carries an esraseble slate and writes down lots of interesting info about what you are seeing, like that the trigger fish are spawning, and the one in front of us is agressively protecting her nest. Our 2nd choice is Dive Makai, and Jack's diving locker is a distant 3rd. All dives with all outfits we been with are led by the divemaster, but with Jacks the guy just swam in a big circle, and was more interested in shooting video which he offer for sale later, than he was in finding and pointing out critters.

CALI68:
Cool! I'll look into them. Thanks!
As someone who has researched and mapped practically the entire Kona coast - the waters of North Kohala are one of my favorite places in all of Hawaii.With Kohala Divers so close to the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel,thats certainly where I'd go again(I only dove with them for a week about 1 1/2 yrs ago) for boat diving in that part of the Big Island.After getting to know my wife and I,they let us take off on our own and dive our own profile.The water clarity there is almost always 120ft +,the diving is interesting with coral ridges extending out to the depths,with lots of swim-throughs,overhangs,fish ,morays,ocassional sharks,pelagics,mantas,and the ever present garden eels in the sand at the end of the reefs.You'll probably find more of the species of butterfly fish endemic to Hawaii here than most other areas you will dive.I have no connection to the dive operation,only the Island-I love it,even after diving all over the world. Aloha......Saildiver.

saildiver:
As someone who has researched and mapped practically the entire Kona coast - the waters of North Kohala are one of my favorite places in all of Hawaii.With Kohala Divers so close to the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel,thats certainly where I'd go again(I only dove with them for a week about 1 1/2 yrs ago) for boat diving in that part of the Big Island.After getting to know my wife and I,they let us take off on our own and dive our own profile.The water clarity there is almost always 120ft +,the diving is interesting with coral ridges extending out to the depths,with lots of swim-throughs,overhangs,fish ,morays,ocassional sharks,pelagics,mantas,and the ever present garden eels in the sand at the end of the reefs.You'll probably find more of the species of butterfly fish endemic to Hawaii here than most other areas you will dive.I have no connection to the dive operation,only the Island-I love it,even after diving all over the world. Aloha......Saildiver.

I've dove that area several times in the past but it was mostly in the spring or summer. I was under the impression that in the winter it's too exposed in general for diving.
Of course it depends on swell and weather but what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Lynn CA:
My mother lives in Kona, so we go a couple of times a year to visit her & always go diving. We have tried several outfits, and have finally settled on Pacific Rim divers: http://www.pacificrimdivers.com/Page.html
They are small, owned by a couple, Patrice leads the dives, and she really knows the reef, and where to find stuff!!! Each time we have gone out with her, we have seen 2 or 3 times as much stuff as with any one else. Small six-pack boat, and Patrice makes great brownies! Divng is more individualized with them than with the larger outfits. Patrice carries an esraseble slate and writes down lots of interesting info about what you are seeing, like that the trigger fish are spawning, and the one in front of us is agressively protecting her nest. Our 2nd choice is Dive Makai, and Jack's diving locker is a distant 3rd. All dives with all outfits we been with are led by the divemaster, but with Jacks the guy just swam in a big circle, and was more interested in shooting video which he offer for sale later, than he was in finding and pointing out critters.

Do you happen to know if they offer Nitrox?

Mauna Kea divers also docks in Kawaihae. Just a point, other dive shops on the island charge a low as $225 for an OW class, Kohala divers charges $550. I have nothing good to say about Kohala.

CALI68:
Do you happen to know if they offer Nitrox?

I spoke with Patrice a couple of months ago when I was putting a link on my web site to theirs and she said that they do have nitrox available. It is an additional $10 and is usually 32%.

SwimsWithSharks:
I spoke with Patrice a couple of months ago when I was putting a link on my web site to theirs and she said that they do have nitrox available. It is an additional $10 and is usually 32%.

Perfect! That's what we dive with (32%) and I hate big crowded dive boats. I'll call them for a quote. I was also interested in Kona Diving Adventures but so far they haven't responded to my e-mail. (?)

I am a big fan of Frank and Patrice (the owners). The only reason I didn't dive with them in August was that my wife had some recent orthopedic issues and the smaller boat was harder for her to get back into so we looked for larger boats. Patrice makes killer brownies as well.

CALI68:
Perfect! That's what we dive with (32%) and I hate big crowded dive boats. I'll call them for a quote. I was also interested in Kona Diving Adventures but so far they haven't responded to my e-mail. (?)

Sometimes Keith is a bit e-mail challenged ... I'll bug him when I see him this
afternoon. Best bet is to call him on 877 885 3483.

Patrice is very nice, btw -

Since I'm in Kona right now I'll add my two cents, late as always...

Patrice is awsome.. Enough said.. Friendly, accomidating, and cool.

I had origianlly wanted to dive with Keith/Dive Tek but we never managed to talk by phone or e-mail. Not par for the course from what eveyone tells me. I've heard nothing but great things about the Dive Tek guys and am hoping to dive with them on my next trip in Feb.

I love Big Island Divers for gear. I'm sending my parents in there for snorkle gear and am pretty certain they won't come back with gidgets they don't need.

Jacks Diving Locker carries the wetsuit I want so I'm treking down there today to buy it since mine won't be here in time and I want to play in the water Sunday. I didn't get a great initial impresson from their sales staff and I have no personal experience with them otherwise. It's a "they have it and I want it and this is an island" effect that makes me shop there.

Aloha!

S

gkndivebum:
Sometimes Keith is a bit e-mail challenged ... I'll bug him when I see him this
afternoon. Best bet is to call him on 877 885 3483.

Patrice is very nice, btw -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom