Boat Dive Outfits on The Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluemagoo:
Big Island Divers has a large store just outside of Kailua-Kona town, at the very top of the steep old airport road, just before hitting the main Kailua-Kona town intersection (assuming you're driving down from up north).

I've used Big Island Divers several times and like them. These are great people. My only complaint has been that I saw one of them pull an octopus out of its hole, once.

OK, got to put my 2cents in. One of my favorite operators anywhere is Aloha Dive Company on the Big Island. There are many good outfits on the Big Island, but Aloha Dive Company is the only the I'm aware of that regularly go to the remote sites.

Take a look at my vacation video below.

Right click and "save target as" to download, or if you have a fast connection, left click to stream.

www.ronrosa.com/hawaii.wmv

The dolphins and daytime manta rays were at a remote site.

ronrosa:
OK, got to put my 2cents in. One of my favorite operators anywhere is Aloha Dive Company on the Big Island. There are many good outfits on the Big Island, but Aloha Dive Company is the only the I'm aware of that regularly go to the remote sites.

Aloha Dive Company is very good. I have a link to my web site in my signature line. On my web site I have a link to Big Island Resources. I have tried to include information on various operators. I don't make any money from this and it is strictly non-commercial. I just really love Hawaii and have tried to put some information on my web site that was valuable to me. Have a great time!

speaking of patrice and co, we originally wanted to do our diving with them, but even 5-6 months out, they were already booked solid! i guess that's the downside of a mom-pop outfit. but i think the personal service is well worth it. i have to say, though, whoever you end up diving with, be sure to do the night manta dive. i can't even begin to convey the excitement of feeling this monster with a 16 foot wingspan, glide over the top of your head, barely brushing you as they swoop up for a gulletful of plankton! it was amazing. words cannot do it justice.

at first, we were a bit daunted as we watched about 4 other boats anchor up to mooring lines at the site, but i forgot that there was anyone else in the entire pacific when those 2-ton behemoths showed up!

we have some excellent still shots on our website, as well as a video clip. it will give you a taste of one of the most thrilling underwater experiences you will ever have!

you can click on the video clip on the home page. stills are in the "pictures" section;

at http://www.scubajoeusa.com

I have dove with Jack's and Dive Tech Adventures and prefer Dive Tech! I like the personal attention we got with Dive Tech, Jack's is way to big a operation and I got better service from Dive Tech. They cater to anything you need, new divers to techies. They are awesome!

It keeps suprising me when people refer to Jack's Diving Locker as a "big" diving op. I have very little dive boat experience, so I'm asking with all sincerity what about them is "big" (beyond the fact that they are probably successful), and what makes "small" ops better?

My experience with Jack's was that every boat captain and divemaster was really friendly, and helpful. I generally had good chats with lots of the folks that work there, and in the course of 3 days of boat diving, I ended up being on a "Hey! How's it going?" basis with a lot of people in their shop. It's not a physically big shop, but they have a lot of good gear, and a pool on site, which is handy.

I think they have 3 boats? The two main ones hold 15 people max, but they never had 15 people on them when I went out. They told us a lot about the site, had funny stories, etc, etc. In general, I really found I liked the experience, both in the water and out, and I'm a guy who likes small groups of friends, but hates big crowds.

Again, I am in no way saying Jack's is the best dive op in the world, because I am a newbie. Maybe that's why I liked them?

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has dove with them and found them to be "big", and what it's like to dive with a "small" op. :)

Gregg

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I think they have 3 boats? The two main ones hold 15 people max, but they never had 15 people on them when I went out. They told us a lot about the site, had funny stories, etc, etc. In general, I really found I liked the experience, both in the water and out, and I'm a guy who likes small groups of friends, but hates big crowds.

Again, I am in no way saying Jack's is the best dive op in the world, because I am a newbie. Maybe that's why I liked them?

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has dove with them and found them to be "big", and what it's like to dive with a "small" op. :)

Gregg

I think people say big because they aren't a 6 pack. That means, more divers, more stuff on the boat, more coordination required to handle multiple groups, more crowding, more issues, etc..

I dove with Jacks once. Full boat w/ 14 divers. Had a good time, but definitely preferred Aloha Dive. 6 divers on 1 day, 4 divers the rest of the week with Aloha.

What Ronrosa said.....also, ops like Dive Makai will usually have one of the owners on the boat with you. The other ops which are often recommended (Aloha, Sandwich Isle, Pacific Rim) are 6 packs which sometimes have more options on where to dive. Kona Honu Divers (new boat) is a large boat. Large does not always mean bad. I did several dives with Kona Honu in August and really enjoyed them. Nice people, boat had a nice set-up for my camera gear and we dove essentially similar sites as the other ops. I have also had excellent results with Pacific Rim, Aloha and Dive Makai. The Big Island is blessed to have a number of good operators. If you pick one of the more recommended ops, it is hard to go wrong. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom