Boat entry while holding video camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KiiY

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi. What's a good way of entering the water from a boat platform while holding a video camera housing?

I've always left my camera with someone on the boat, used the giant step entry method, and had the camera handed to me once I was in the water... But if I get a light set up with a large battery pack that must be strapped to the air tank (too big for the housing), it means I'll have to hold the housing while I enter because of the power cables.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I do a giant stride with my camera held as high as possible in one hand. By the time the camera gets to the water you are moving pretty slowly so there is no shock. YMMV

Depending water condition!
First; I will Giant Stride entering first camera by hand help by boat man.
Second; if strong current back roll entry holds the camera will entering.

Darnold9999:
I do a giant stride with my camera held as high as possible in one hand. By the time the camera gets to the water you are moving pretty slowly so there is no shock. YMMV

I just began doing this method with my still camera. I like to put air in my BC, first, and the camera usually doesn't even touch the water on entry.

ummmm - interesting question. never tried, but i'd think that held to your chest, then do a backRoll (like when exiting a dinghy, etc) would protect it pretty good. this would work an 'most' boats, but not all....

I have a still camera but I never take the chance. I had a diver drop on top of me in March in the Philippines cutting my head open, not my fault, and I would have been in trouble if I would have had a camera. I would have dropped it or if I had it tethered it could have entangled the diver who came to my aid. We were over a 600' wall.

meekal:
ummmm - interesting question. never tried, but i'd think that held to your chest, then do a backRoll (like when exiting a dinghy, etc) would protect it pretty good. this would work an 'most' boats, but not all....

I tried that, last week, in Key Largo with my camera and dual strobes. I ended up popping a joint in one of my strobes, despite the fairly easy entry.

Jcsgt:
I tried that, last week, in Key Largo with my camera and dual strobes. I ended up popping a joint in one of my strobes, despite the fairly easy entry.

ratZ.... sorry to hear that..... hope you were able to fix it withOut too much trouble....

meekal:
ratZ.... sorry to hear that..... hope you were able to fix it withOut too much trouble....

After the dive, I was able to pop it back in. Of course, we saw schooling eagle rays on that dive and nurse sharks and there's me, trying to manually aim that strobe while shooting with the other hand. LOL!!

Like others have said-- depends on sea condition and others on boat. Normally I have another reliable person hand it down to me and try to have the same person be on hand to take it from me when I exit the water. i have done the giant stride/inflate BC technique in calm seas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom