Boat entry while holding video camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for the advice so far. Right now I think I'll try holding it above my head as I do the giant stride entry.

The back roll might be another option if I can learn to right myself afterwards without getting water into my ear canal -- can't equalize after that and it ends the dive real quick. :frown:

Until now I've asked someone to hand me the housing after I was in the water, but the power cables going from the tank-mounted battery pack to the light heads will make that option impossible now.

For posterity I just wanted to mention another option I was told:
Giant stride entry while holding just the light heads, then have the camera housing handed over, and attach the light heads while in the water.

On a side note, a friend who's been a pro underwater videographer/photographer for many years is telling me to avoid holding the housing above my head while doing the giant stride. He says it's a good way to lose pieces of equipment or end up with a concussion.

KiiY:
For posterity I just wanted to mention another option I was told:
Giant stride entry while holding just the light heads, then have the camera housing handed over, and attach the light heads while in the water.

On a side note, a friend who's been a pro underwater videographer/photographer for many years is telling me to avoid holding the housing above my head while doing the giant stride. He says it's a good way to lose pieces of equipment or end up with a concussion.

Good to know!

Because I'm not a paying customer on the King Neptune. I try to limit the time the crew has to spend assisting me. Therefore I usually enter the water off the swim step by falling backwards witrh the camera held close to my chest with one hand and my other hand on the regulator and mask.

If I have to do a giant stride, I will ask someone to hand the camera to me.

It ended up where I entered the water by going down a ladder while holding only the lights. Once in the water, someone handed me the housing and I attached the lights before descending.

On the way out I did the reverse -- detached the lights, handed up the housing, then climbed up the ladder while holding the lights.

It worked out well since this time the boat had a ladder, but I'll definitely keep everyone's advice in mind the next time I dive off a boat without one.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom