Boat ladders and upper body v leg strength

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christmas tree ladders are awesome. Just go up with your fins on. The key is that the boat has to have hand holds in appropriate places for you to pull yourself up at the end. I’ve been on one boat with a fin OFF ladder. Never again.
This!!! I "grew up" diving in the Mid-atlantic where every boat (at least the ones I saw) had christmas tree ladders. The first time I went to the Caribbean and someone told me to take my fins off in the water, I thought that they were crazy. I now regularly dive off of boats with fins off ladders and I still hate it and feel less safe.

At Rainbow Reef they asked us to put our fins straps around our wrists and I did as told (because I'm like that) but I found it difficult to move my hands/arms as I grabbed the rope and then the ladder
Orienting the top of the fin pocket toward your elbow helps a lot. Planning ahead for this, you can orient the back of your hand against your heel when pulling the strap down. This allows you to put the fin onto that same wrist with an upward looping motion. All of this is done one-handed since the other is typically holding the line or ladder.

I dive both fins off and fins on ladders, mostly the former. Long ago I learned to take my fins off and put them on my wrists. That way, I do not have to hand them up and I have my fins if I am thrown from the ladder in big seas. I have been thrown just twice in over 2,200 dives, glad I had my fins (and mask on, regulator in mouth)

Funny this thread was resurrected today. On our sunset & night dive we were diving from the Anita, which had a Christmas tree ladder. Once again, I found myself trying to grasp onto the drainage slats on the deck of the boat to pull myself on board. Those things just have nowhere to place your hands as you climb onto the boat. I'm convinced it's not a matter of leg or upper body strength - if there's nowhere to grab, there's no way to stabilize yourself. At least that's how I see it. Don't like those stupid ladders. @Tracy - those are really cool lifts!!!
It isn't an issue of christmas tree ladders being bad, it is an issue of poorly designed ladders being poorly designed. This is a photo of my christmas tree ladder on my other boat. If you notice, it has two sections, one under the water and the other coming a full six feet out of the water. You are on the platform while still on the ladder climbing. There is always a rung in your hands.

1659018330716.png

Here is a deployed photo from my old dive boat, similar designed ladder, just less refined. Still very easy to climb and board.

1659018414967.png

I am still changing things trying to make life easier. I went from a good ladder to a better ladder, to an elevator.
My wife is a 5' technical diver and for the last two years, half of my tech students and charter customers have been female. I try to design and accommodate where possible.

It isn't an issue of christmas tree ladders being bad, it is an issue of poorly designed ladders being poorly designed. This is a photo of my christmas tree ladder on my other boat. If you notice, it has two sections, one under the water and the other coming a full six feet out of the water. You are on the platform while still on the ladder climbing. There is always a rung in your hands.

View attachment 735465

Here is a deployed photo from my old dive boat, similar designed ladder, just less refined. Still very easy to climb and board.

View attachment 735466

I am still changing things trying to make life easier. I went from a good ladder to a better ladder, to an elevator.
My wife is a 5' technical diver and for the last two years, half of my tech students and charter customers have been female. I try to design and accommodate where possible.
I dived off Tracy’s previous boat in the last photo. The ladder was VERY nice. I’m 5’5”.

View attachment 735465

View attachment 735466

Yes! It's that there's nothing to grab onto once your head is level with the deck of the boat - no more cross-rungs. You're doing a great job!!

I just have a very basic "fins-on" ladder on my boat. When deployed it sits at a fairly good angle aft......about 30 degrees is my guess. I also have a rope and clip system set-up so when divers get back to the boat they can inflate, then climb out of their gear and we use the crab/shrimp pot puller to bring their gear onboard.... Pretty easy to climb the ladder without gear and weights. I like fins on in case anyone gets away from the ladder in current. I also always have a 30ft tag line to a small mooring ball running off the stern.

It's all cold water drysuit diving up here so folks are usually wearing heavy boots which helps.

I've also have a marine T-Handle that simply loops around a tank valve so someone onboard can assist with the weight for anyone choosing to come up the ladder with gear on....

hY4aUtJ.jpg

qkdiiri.jpg

Just wanted to add that the most awesome boarding option I've ever used was just this past May on a TradeWinds 60ft Catamaran trip to the BVI's.... The entry was a simple stride off either of the swim steps on the aft of the pontoons. But the great part was getting back onto the boat. Since the dinghy is always on a tag line while at anchor, we used the dinghy lift platform for exiting divers. That platform in the pic lowers into the water via hydraulics so that it's about 2-3 feet below the surface. Once we returned from our dives we simply swim up onto the submerged platform and sit down with legs dangling off the back. Then they raise the platform up out of the water and a crew member comes back to bring you a frozen margarita and help you slip out of your gear...... Talk about spoiled!!!!!!! But it was awesome!!!!

xfN8NOD.jpg

Shameless plug.
They DO exist in the US.
Not many, but I know of a couple in addition to mine.
View attachment 735437
Good to see civilisation slowly coming over the water - IMHO there is nothing that will ever come close to a lift for ease of use and safety (for crew and divers alike). Most reputable dive boats here have lifts and I absolutely love them. Even in rolling seas, they beat ladders by a country mile. They might not be quite as quick as a ladder but I will happily wait a couple of minutes every time over using a ladder.

Reactions: Ana
I love the God's Pocket elevator. I've ridden it up close to 100 times. My second favorite ladder is my own. I have a four-step Armstrong ladder with a modified swing bracket. There are rails to pull yourself up.
Ladder_DSC1273.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom