Boat operators-differences between good & bad divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shurite7:
I would say the inconsiderate person was the worst problem. If people are looking sea sick don't over extend the last dive while everyone else is onboard ready to go.

I'm not too worried about people being inconsiderate, that's a matter of manners not safety. If they've paid for 2 45 min dives(or whatever), they should be able to dive their allotted time. It's not their problem that someone else is getting sick. I don't really allow people to extend their time beyond the planned times, mainly because I run multiple trips in a day and have a schedule to keep.

I always cringe when people start a trip off by saying how they get sick everytime they go on a boat: try shore diving!

lazyturtle:
I'm not too worried about people being inconsiderate, that's a matter of manners not safety. If they've paid for 2 45 min dives(or whatever), they should be able to dive their allotted time. It's not their problem that someone else is getting sick. I don't really allow people to extend their time beyond the planned times, mainly because I run multiple trips in a day and have a schedule to keep.

I always cringe when people start a trip off by saying how they get sick everytime they go on a boat: try shore diving!
I know a number of people who get sick every trip out on a boat. Hardcore, committed, and excellent divers. You have to be, to be willing to deal with that sort of sickness, and still be willing to go out and have fun.

As long as they are courteous about it (head for the downwind rail, and clean up after yourself), I'm going to feel bad for them, but I would never think of telling them they should stick to shore dives.

If I were an instructor like the plague, I'd certainly hide that. :D

Kamchatka, thank you for starting a good thread. I hope to get some boat diving in soon and the points/comments that have been made have been very benificial.

Thanks

Re: Post #5, I don't get the part about setting up before you board. Why? Just makes the trek on the dock, and getting on board, that much more cumbersome and awkward, and increases my chances of heat stroke down here in the Gulf South. I've never seen this is 7 years of mostly boat diving.

What I've seen, and do, is to come to the dock with my rented tank(s), greet the Capt or DH, then board and put the tank in an unoccupied rack; now I have a spot, and the Capt knows I'm here. Then, I bring the rest of my stuff, and set up on board. While doing so, I sniff around for an insta-buddy if I need one, and whisper to the capt or DH in case they know of a good match.

Am I missing something here? Why set up in the car, or on the dock?

nolatom:
Re: Post #5, I don't get the part about setting up before you board. Why? Just makes the trek on the dock, and getting on board, that much more cumbersome and awkward, and increases my chances of heat stroke down here in the Gulf South. I've never seen this is 7 years of mostly boat diving.

What I've seen, and do, is to come to the dock with my rented tank(s), greet the Capt or DH, then board and put the tank in an unoccupied rack; now I have a spot, and the Capt knows I'm here. Then, I bring the rest of my stuff, and set up on board. While doing so, I sniff around for an insta-buddy if I need one, and whisper to the capt or DH in case they know of a good match.

Am I missing something here? Why set up in the car, or on the dock?
I beleive hes talking about rigging your tank ,bc and regs on the dock, handing the over to be placed in a spot. This way your bag can go right into storage. Also theres more room on dock for everyone to do the same. I am from P'Cola and thats the way we do it here.

BRANDY:
I beleive hes talking about rigging your tank ,bc and regs on the dock, handing the over to be placed in a spot. This way your bag can go right into storage. Also theres more room on dock for everyone to do the same. I am from P'Cola and thats the way we do it here.
If that's the case, it would unfairly penalize anyone from out of state. That's certainly not the way we normally do things here in California.

TheWetRookie:
Kamchatka, thank you for starting a good thread. I hope to get some boat diving in soon and the points/comments that have been made have been very benificial.

Thanks
YW. This does seem to turning out pretty interesting and informative. I've picked up a couple of things here. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying I'm not a genius or anything but we should all keep learning.

Back
Top Bottom