Boating Safely

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hnladue

Contributor
Reaction score
With the diving season (and boating season) getting ready to start back up here in the great white north, I thought I'd post some things to look for when boating or choosing a charter boat. I don't have the US Federal Regulations right in front of my, but I do have the New York State regulations, which are about the same. Again this is for all boats in the United States.

First off when looking at your charter boat, look for a safety inspection decal from either the state police, US Coast Guard Auxiliary or the Power Squardron. This sticker means the boat has already gone thru a detailed safety inspection and passed. If they don't have one or you own a boat and would like one, contact your local USCG Auxiliry. http://nws.cgaux.org/index.html

What to look for:

Cleaniness of the deck: it should not be cluttered and easy to walk on

Fire Extingishers: Vessels 26ft to 40ft are required to carry 2 B-I US Coast Guard approved fire extinguishers. 40ft to 65ft must carry 3, 65ft and up need more. On any vessel, one B-II exitnguisher may substitute for 2 B-I. Vessels equipped with approved fixed extinguishing systems (like halon) may carry one less B-I extinguisher. Extinguishers should be mounted. It's recommended to mount them sideways so that the motion of the boat, pounding up and down, doesn't pack the chemicals into the bottom of the bottle. You should be able to feel the chemicals move around when you tilt the bottle. (I get wierd looks when I do this, but if I'm on your boat, I wanna know that extinguisher works). Halon bottle must be weighed and inspected yearly. No tag-it doesn't count as a fire extinguisher.

PFD's (life jackets): There should be one life jacket for everyone on the boat. At least a type III. Vessels 16ft and bigger must have one type IV throwable. All PFD's should be clean, with no tears or rot. They must be easliy accessible. If they are in a locked box, or in bags, they don't count as PFD's. The suspender type must be worn to count as a PFD. Children under 12 MUST wear a PFD at all times, while underway. All PFD's must be US Coast Guard approved (they will say right on them).

Visual Distress Equipment: NYS law states all vessels 16ft and up must carry approved visual distress equipment. A day flag, night light, 3 day/night flares (not expired) all count. Federal law requires all maually propelled vessels to carry visual distress equipment approved for night use.

Navigation lights: should WORK!

Whistle or a horn: again should WORK! Bells are no longer required for inland vessels, but they are nice to have.

Additional suggested equipment: first aid kit, tool kit, bilge pump/bailer, boat hook, oar/paddle, compass, Marine radio, spare parts (ask me about spare parts.... My dad is the king of fuel filters).

Boating and drinking: Here where I live, the coasties follow the federal guidelines... blow a .08 or whatever it is and you're drunk... however, if the local sheriff gets involved, it's ZERO TOLERENCE.... you blow ANYTHING, you lose your drivers license and your boat. It's recommened the caption doesn't drink for 24 hours before a trip.

Diving operations: From my NYS book. It recognizes both the alpha flag and the red/white flag. Under no circumstances should a vessel approach within 100 ft of any craft displaying either flag. Any vessel displaying either flag is to be considered restricted in it's ability to maneuver and should be afforded the right of way.

I'm available to give any vessel an exam if anyone is interested (in Rochester). I'll be contacting Dwight again to get his boat done.

geez how about some diver stuff!

Oxygen ( and someone trained to use it )
coast guard on speed dial
two crew (one to pilot one to help stricken diver)
crew trained in diver emergency proceedures
a dingy to chase divers that can't get back to boat

just my $.02

dave

dtdiver:
geez how about some diver stuff!

Oxygen ( and someone trained to use it )
coast guard on speed dial
two crew (one to pilot one to help stricken diver)
crew trained in diver emergency proceedures
a dingy to chase divers that can't get back to boat

just my $.02

dave

On a six-pack (which is what I primarily dive off of when I dive "Tech" in remote areas), I only ask for the O2.

You can cut the price of the charter by sending seven spots and listing one as "crew" for the Coast Guard/law enforcement if you get stopped. Then you pay for six spots as the captain will often give the trip leader a free spot and split it among the seven divers.

Try fitting a chase boat on a six-pack :) . That doesn't often work.

And with six or seven divers on board among the paying customers normally one of us is rescue trained or above on the boats that I ride on.

Give me a Captain that is a diver and that is a definite plus, but I have seen boats go out where the captain is a not a diver or trained to rescue them. In that case, one of the customers had better be an effective dive leader or there should be a boat DM.

My preference is to have a larger boat with captain and crew well versed with divers. I often do try to steer my business that way, but in remote areas, you are often limited to boats that can be trailered to the location. That means six packs with the captain as the only crew. The good news is that typically the captain is a diver him/herself in that situation.

Actually, I find the opening post to have some great input. The next list is preferences to me more than requirements (except the O2 kit as that is a requirement in my mind).

Another plus... a captain who can find the wrecks :) !

Another plus... a captain who can find the wrecks -- you mean wrecks that don't move!????

I don't worry about crew when I'mk on a boat cause I usually AM the crew!! Dave, those are great points, but also can be options. Do you know the phone number to your local coast guard?? Or how about the closest station?? Also most cell phones won't work on the water.

To call the Coast Guard on the UHF radio (which all boats are SUPPOSED to carry).....
Channel 16 is monitored. To hail them, as example, if you were near here, "Station Rochester, Station Rochester, Stations Rochester, this is the 'boats name' " They will reply and tell you which channel to switch to to chat (usually 23). If it's an emergency, call mayday mayday mayday (there's another call for a not so extreme emergency, but I can't remember what it is right now-might be pan pan)

Anything else someone might want to know??

hnladue:
Another plus... a captain who can find the wrecks -- you mean wrecks that don't move!??

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom