Boats in southern NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im surprised there are No Dive Charters in SOUTH Jersey.

I have a place in Wildwood and we keep our boat in Cape May. We started diving a lot this year and I am surprised that with the volume of private boat divers in Cape May - there are no Dive Charters. We have good dive sites - Why no charters.

I suspect it is because the closest dive shop is 45 minutes away and that we are a further shore point than most. You have to head East - THEN south to get here where for Central Jersey beach towns you only have to head East to get to the beach.

I'll bet a few charters pop up over the next few years based on the number of private boats and a growing interest.

Ive asked a few tackle shops to get a conmpressor and act as a mini dive shop/fill station - that might help.

Im surprised there are No Dive Charters in SOUTH Jersey.
Give it a couple years. With the destroyer they're sinking soon the Cape May dive industry should grow.
I can't wait
:popcorn:

There used to be more. There are still one or two but it is surprising. I think a lot of the resort towns are not favorable for commercial boating in general and scuba charters are a niche segment.

The prblem with running out of S New Jersey is that there is no cover like there is out of the Manasquan area. So blowouts are more common than you might think, but they can go diving up North. I used to crew for an outfit that had 2 boats; one in AC area and one in Brielle. Even thought the one down South was bigger and faster it sat on some days when the boat out of Brielle could schniggle out, stay behind the Atlantic Highlands and hit something inshore.

I hope another boat or two staqrts out of S Jersey, much better diving down there.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom