Boats with Marine Park permits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In response to the many questions over the years, "How do we know if our boat/operator is legal?" Here is the best way to check.

Here is a link to the official list from the marine park of boats with authorization to work inside of the marine park.

A boat with marine park permits also means that the owner/operator is operating with proper business licenses, insurance, passed inspection at the time of inspection (once a year), has a licensed captain/crew.

Embarcaciones autorizadas dentro del Parque Nacional Arrecifes de Cozumel

This list was last updated April 16, 2018 and is updated anytime new permits are granted - which is only via transfer from another boat. A current list also hangs in the lobby of the marine park offices for the public.

Last edited:
That is a great list Christi. With the recent questions rising about legal operators inside the marine park this is very helpful! JUmping through all the hoops to service our guests legally is not easy but I truly believe in the Cozumel Marine park and the work they have done to protect our beautiful ecosystem.

That list needs to be made available as a sticky. I had questioned just this very topic on my trip in Feb. Lots of new boats operating & I suspected a few were operating without permits. The Park Authorities also need to enforce the rules to keep things on the up & up.

Please make sure that the boat you are diving from has marine park permits. Here is a link to the official list from the marine park of boats with authorization to work inside of the marine park.

A boat with marine park permits also means that the owner/operator is operating with proper business licenses, insurance, passed inspection at the time of inspection (once a year), has a licensed captain/crew.

Embarcaciones autorizadas dentro del Parque Nacional Arrecifes de Cozumel

This list was last updated April 16, 2018 and is updated anytime new permits are granted - which is only via transfer from another boat. A current list also hangs in the lobby of the marine park offices for the public.
Is this a common problem such that a diver must specifically look into it before diving? I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that all the operators on coz were pretty much on the level - mistakes/errors aside.

Holy cow there are WAY more dive ops in Coz than I thought there were!

Is this a common problem such that a diver must specifically look into it before diving? I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that all the operators on coz were pretty much on the level - mistakes/errors aside.

This is a list of boat names not dive ops. Some ops own multiple boats.

Do dive ops and/or dive masters need to be licensed to work in the marine park, or is it just the boats?

It has become more of a problem in the past few years.

This is a list of boats authorized for aquatic activity in the park. It is not a list of dive ops - everything is not all about us hahaha!

These are diving, snorkeling, parasailing, and leisure boats. Not all are even actually in current operation.

The poachers are a seperate issue but one that also needs to be dealt with. The point is if you want to do your part in helping - make sure you’re diving with a legal boat.

It has become more of a problem in the past few years.

This is a list of boats authorized for aquatic activity in the park. It is not a list of dive ops - everything is not all about us hahaha!

These are diving, snorkeling, parasailing, and leisure boats. Not all are even actually in current operation.

The poachers are a seperate issue but one that also needs to be dealt with. The point is if you want to do your part in helping - make sure you’re diving with a legal boat.
Since it's a small island, can I assume that illegal boats (boats without permits) are coming from another island or the mainland?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom