Bob Evans Designs-VAULT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 1996 Bob Evans designed a new variable thrust Force Wing.
bobevans_findesign.jpg

The attached Force Wings were movable and allowed the diver to change the dynamics of the fin blade by adjusting the Force Wings toward each other or spread out to fine tune the blade for power and tracking.
bobevans_findesign1.jpg

Bob used an early design of the Beaver Force Fin for his experiments with this new Force Wing design. The Whiskers and Speed Pods had already been designed and in the market place, but it was this new Force Wing which Bob experimented with that led to the development of the current Bat Wings and Sharks' Teeth.

When I saw these fins I was reminded of Bob's commitment and energy toward designing and experimenting with numerous variable thrust attachments to fin blades for a more advanced fin experience. I am looking forward to see what else comes out of Bob Evans' Design vault.

Im sure they are fantastic but they arent as pretty as the old tan delta. Is that just how these are poured or is that a result of the new material?

Im pretty sure the design of the fin and the materials are inseparable. The shape of the fin takes advantage of the materials. Also, the force fin pocket is one of my favorite improvements over jet fins. Interesting idea though, I bet it would be fun to play with a more modern jet fin design.

Also, I think Bob Evans' hockey, extra, and excellerating are all fins which are meant to be improvements on the jet fin. But Im not sure about that, Bob Evans or Blair Mott would be able to answer that.

Have you guys ever considered making a batch of fins in the classic Jet Fin shape, but using your superior materials? I'd bet you'd sell a batch of those like hotcakes (I'd be at the front of the line, for one!)

Cheers,
Huw

As Mike808 said above - Force Fins are designed to make the most of the materials used. Bob spends lots of time figuring out the proper thickness and shapes to maximize the performance of the materials and is always looking for new materials to improve performance.

Additionally making a Jet Fin copy would be a waste of effort. Jet Fin users, as a group, think that the originals made of rubber are the only way to make a fin. Despite all the advances in fin design there is almost a cult following that the Jet is the only fin to use even it if causes cramps and other problems. Plus Jet Fins users are CHEAP - they brag about buying used Jets for $30 and can't understand why anyone would pay more for fins. If Bob was to make a Jet copy with modern high performance materials the cost would be be in the range of the other high end Force Fins - just guessing between $350 and $600 - and his other fins in that price range outperform Jets.

There are as Mike808 pointed out several Force Fins that will provide better performance than Jets - to my mind the most comparable is the Hockey Fin since it is probably the best frog kicking fin (with the possible exception of the Flying Force Fin which I have not tried). Again, it is the combination of physical design and materials that make Force Fins what they are - a vastly superior product at a higher price but when you break it down - they are a great value.

This is just my opinion as a user - but one who has gone from Jets to Splits (Apollos) to Force Fins (I am now on my 4th pair).

I used to use Jet fins back in the old days... but there are reasons I gave them up as soon as I could. Besides, I can't frog kick anyway (too knock kneed).

After chatting with Bob and Susanne last weekend, it was nice to see some pix of him back when we were both much younger studs.

Im sure they are fantastic but they arent as pretty as the old tan delta. Is that just how these are poured or is that a result of the new material?
Mike808,
Pretty is in the eye of the beholder? The less of a boiled candy look is indeed a result of the new formula and so far the beauty is in the energy gained. Currently the Foil, Hockey and Surf Rescue Force Fins are only being poured in the New Tan Delta Material.

Additionally making a Jet Fin copy would be a waste of effort. Jet Fin users, as a group, think that the originals made of rubber are the only way to make a fin. Despite all the advances in fin design there is almost a cult following that the Jet is the only fin to use even it if causes cramps and other problems. Plus Jet Fins users are CHEAP - they brag about buying used Jets for $30 and can't understand why anyone would pay more for fins. If Bob was to make a Jet copy with modern high performance materials the cost would be be in the range of the other high end Force Fins - just guessing between $350 and $600 - and his other fins in that price range outperform Jets.

I spent a couple of years in a pair of Pro FF, and also owned a pair of Excellerating FF for a bit. I've since moved to using Jet Fins, because my diving technique and style has changed, and the shape of Jet Fins works better with my current technique. (And I don't get cramps, nor 'other problems' whatever that is supposed to mean, nor am I a cult member. :wink: Impressive range of ad-hominem attacks in there, by the way!)

I still think the materials used in Force Fins are far superior to rubber compounds (my Pro Force spent a year travelling crammed roughly into a backpack with no deformation at all!) so personally I'd jump at a pair of fins from the Jet Fin mould in Tan Delta material.

Cheers,
Huw

Well we agree on one thing - the Tan Delta material is vastly superior to rubber.:wink:

However I don't think that just changing the material would do much for the performance of Jets. The performance advantage comes from the combination of the integration of the design with the material. If you have used Force Fins in the past you know the advantages of the foot pocket design coupled with the shape and material are what makes the total performance. Take away any one and I don' think it works. If your diving technique is frog kicking, I suggest you try the Hockey Fin.

I won't even comment on you little about my characterization of most Jet Fin users, but if you listen to their comments in this Forum, you will understand where that impression comes from (sort like the BP/W crowd when it comes to jacket BCs) :D. My apologies since you seem to have a different take on thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom