Body achy and worn out after 1st time dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Supporting what the others have said. The OW training wears you out physically and mentally. Another factor that most don't realize in advance is the toll of being immersed in water for hours - the cold water saps your energy more than you might think. This happens in the pool and in open water too.

the scuba munchies never go away....

So it isn't just me that feels like they could eat twice as much on a diving weekend than I would normally? Or could that be the post dive drinkies that are causing that?:drunks:

I think the nitrogen load has something to do with it as well. After 50 or so dives that always ended in a nitrogen nap afterwards, my wife and I got certified for Nitrox. The next trip was much better as far as the need for a nap afterwards was concerned.

Also remember to stay hydrated. Coconut Water is incredible and much better than Gatorade type drinks. They have some that are flavored that taste much better than unflavored (I like pineapple) On the boats, drink water even when you aren't thirsty.

Good luck!
Jay

part of the hydration thing and why you have to take a leak so much in the water is the pressure on your body causes your body to produce more urine. Called Immersion Diuresis. Very annoying, but it is what it is. You have to pee a lot, and consequently become more dehydrated after you get out of the water.

Thank you so much. You guys are right. I got a good nights rest and have hardly any aches anymore. I did have a wicked headache the first few dives and my instructor said it was because I was sucking air so bad. I am a shallow breather by nature so I truly have to concentrate on my breathing when diving. I find with my normal shallow breaths I have trouble staying neutrally buoyant so that is a skill I really need to work on. I did have an amazing time and can't wait for my ocean check out dive this weekend. Thank you again for all the advice! It is much appreciated!:)

part of the hydration thing and why you have to take a leak so much in the water is the pressure on your body causes your body to produce more urine. Called Immersion Diuresis. Very annoying, but it is what it is. You have to pee a lot, and consequently become more dehydrated after you get out of the water.
WOW!! I did notice I was constantly needing to go to the bathroom. I kept thinking to myself, I didn't drink a ton of water, what the heck?! I get why I had a headache after each dive... I was dehydrated from going to the bathroom so much and losing so much fluid!

WOW!! I did notice I was constantly needing to go to the bathroom. I kept thinking to myself, I didn't drink a ton of water, what the heck?! I get why I had a headache after each dive... I was dehydrated from going to the bathroom so much and losing so much fluid!

correct, hence the comment on starting the hydration about 2 days before you dive, drink whenever possible to make sure that you are urinating often and that it is as clear as possible. will prevent the headaches. Drink the whole day, and every time you get out of the water....

Normal wear and tear using muscles and high mental taskload that you're not used to. It comes and goes as you take more classes too; which is both humbling and unnerving.

Drink some tall glasses of water as your body isn't used to dehydrating from dry scuba air.
A protein bar or shake can help with the next morning muscle soreness.

Basic OW for me didn't quite effect me much; I've always been a proficient submerged swimmer, class was easy for me, and I was way too jazzed every pool session to really feel fatigued.
However couple months later I was taking my Rescue class and after a 3 hour pool session I was completely floored.
Came home insanely depressed, deflated, and tired beyond belief. The pool session pretty much placed me near a breaking point. Looking back though it's a fun memory with a good learning experience.

I did have a wicked headache the first few dives and my instructor said it was because I was sucking air so bad. I am a shallow breather by nature so I truly have to concentrate on my breathing when diving. I find with my normal shallow breaths I have trouble staying neutrally buoyant so that is a skill I really need to work on.

Breath slowly and deeply is much better underwater, and can be practiced before you even start the descent. Try to breath with a 3-5 second inhale and exhale twice as long exhale 6-10 seconds. That will keep you from retaining CO2 which is a bad thing and you will be more relaxed as well.

Headaches might be caused by high CO2 as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom