Bog Dive Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver-Down

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey just a quick question for anyone that may have experience with this. I'm interested in scuba diving a quaking bog that's forming over a glacial pond to see some of the underwater changes occurring there. The bog is encroaching an a fairly large open water pond/small lake and I'm just curious if there are any special gear considerations (ie damage/malfunction) I need to be concerned with due to the water acidity/bog characteristics. I know this is an unusual question but I thought I'd sound it here in case anyone else has had experience diving one of these (or if you're a water biologist) and could save me any headaches. I've already considered the penetrative and entanglement aspects even though I don't plan to swim under the peat layer, but I'm really unsure of the water chemistry or any other special considerations. Thanks in advance for the input!

Diver-Down,

The pH of the bog water will not likely be lower, or more acidic, than about 3 to 3.5 or so - there's usually a natural buffering system that prevents the pH from going lower in these types of systems/habitats. Even at that low a pH, your gear will be fine. I've personally used gear in the Rio Negro, a large blackwater river in the Amazon basin with a pH of about 3.5 (lowest we recored), with no negative effects. Just rinse your gear afterwards like it should be after any dive.

Good luck with the exploration!

Lee

...scuba diving a quaking bog that's forming over a glacial pond...
That one that we skied through at the bottom of [-]Cliff's Ridge[/-] Marquette Mountain?

Kinda' almost like this....

Dress warmly!

That's amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom