Bohol/Sipadan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc928tw

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am planning to go on a 5 days land base dive trip in late July with 3 of my friends. I was wondering how are the diving conditions for Bohol and Sipadan around that time? I heard there are lots more to do at nite time in Bohol compare to Sipadan, is that true? Are there more Japanese divers in Sipadan than Bohol? Thanks in advance for your generous inputs.

The diving is fantastic in Sipadan - best diving I ever have done (vs thailand, Phillipines, Bali, Saipan). there is nothing to do in the evening...only hang out at the dive places...altho the big resort has ppl to hang with -Borneo Divers. I was last there in 99, I believe, so perhaps things have changed. I was doing about 4 - 5 dives a day, so I wanted to rest and did not stay up late.

I have not dove in Bohol, altho I have been on live-aboards thru the Visiayas two times. Most of the time we were on the boat altho on New Years we off-loaded onto Boracay where there is a night life.

Sorry I cant provide more info...

I am going there in a couple of weeks. I have not been there
before but from what I gathered from some friends,
Sipadan is quite boring at night. Beside night dive and a walk on a beach to look at turtles laying eggs, you are pretty much stuck with the resort. We are going to stay on Mabul which I was told is a little bit better.
My travel agent also just told me that Sipadan may soon become off limit to overnight accomodation ie you will have to stay on other islands. However he did not tell me when that might happen. Please note, my travel agent only did flight booking for me, not the resorts, he just happened to scuba dive as well and also plans to go there in the near future.

Thank you very much for your valuable information. Does any one been to either Sipadan or Bohol in July? Since I heard some nasty weahter conditions for Bohol in July, I was just wondering is that true. THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR INPUTS!!!!

jc928tw,

Just back from Sipadan, visibility is bad, mostly 5 to 12m at most; however, it is clearing up. The wall is still pretty, but less marine lives and more bare patches as compare to the past.

The big school of barracudas is still missing; now is the season to watch out for Hammerhead and Manta. Try to include Mabul and Kapalai if you like small stuffs.

Bohol, not too sure.

Thanks again for all your inputs. Yup, I heard Sipadan is not what it use to be any more.... However I have to visit there at least one time and see it for myself right? It seems like not that many people had dove in Bohol before, I wonder is that a bad sign... I heard from my travel agent that most of the people stay in Mabul now instead of Sipadan, is that right? only 5-12 meter vis... that's not the Sipdan I heard of... Is it because of the season/weather?

good diving

Best dive!! Dived in Sipadan in early May. Visibility varies from 5-50m due to season and tide. I dived in the morning with 6m vis and get an 30m vis during the afternoon dive. Sipadan is the place for u if like turtles (able to see more than 10 turtles in a dive) and sheer drop of the wall. But watch out...look at ur depth gauge all the time. U might drop to way deeper than u think. A fren of mine who is OW certified went down to 35m (115 feets)!!! which is almost twice the recommended depth of 18m. Although sipadan is an small island and nothing much during night, you will enjoy the tranquillity of the island.:)

In Borneo.

I would rather choose Layang Layang over Sipadan if I am going for wall dive; at least the corals are better preserved. Same great drop but the resort in Layang Layang is so much better and the price is not that great if you take into account food, location, maintenance and stay. Heard that Sangalaki is for big stuffs and wall too.

However, if you want wall, Macro and big stuffs, Sipadan/Mabul/Kapalai is good, so is Manado.

well, one of my friend just told me he can only do a 4d3n trip. So I guess Sipadan might be out of our reach since we will be flying out from Taiwan and I think traveling to Sipadan is not as convenient as the Philipines. Now it is down to Bohol or Puerto Galera.......... Unless you guys think it is still worth it to go to Sipadan for 4 days. Thanks a lot for the inputs..

jc928tw,

4D/3N = 3 diving Days as you can't dive on the last day, right?

Philippines, I would like to dive there someday. Else, you might like to try Indonesia, Manado. Low rate and right season now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom