Bonaire, Belize or Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
My father has led flyfishing tours down in Belize, fishing for bonefish on the flats. Dunno how close those areas are to the great diving locations others are speaking of, however.

In some places it's less than half mile. Turneffe has good fly fishing and diving. San Pedro also.

Hank49:
Cancun Mark once posted that the vis in one of the cenotes he dived in Mexico had 500 foot or so vis. If your light goes out it's 0 though. :D

That must be an experience. Unfortunately I think Cenotes are considered CAVE diving are'nt they? Probably not for us with less than 20 dives.:(

Thanks, Compudude - The diving and flyfishing were both excellent during our week on Glover's Atoll 3 years ago; same was true for the Bay Islands this summer. Always looking for the next great spot...

I went to Bonaire last April and loved it. I would not have cared for it if I was a single guy. It definitely all about the diving.
We stayed at the Plaza resort which was great. Their dive shop is Toucan divers.
Which is top notch. My wife, my 16 yo daughter and I got certified AOW and they threw in Nitrox Certification. Nitrox tanks are no extra charge. rent a truck and shore diving is incredible.
I don't know if there wasn't much night life or if I was to tired to check it out. We would dive all day, do a night dive,eat a great meal and go to bed and start the whole process over again.
Make sure you have a dive computer and you have so many multiple dives. It's just easier to keep track of.

dvrliz -
That's good news. Is it easily accessible without a guide? My husband prefers to hunt around on his own. Are their guides to get him oriented if he decides to hire one for a day or 2? Thanks again for your help!

There is a book available that lists all the locations and they mark them at the parking area with yellow painted rocks with the dive site name on them.
Check out www.infobonaire.org. You have to have an orientation dive to get a marine park tag for your BC.

donooo:
Can you do Phx/Belize City/ ? in one day

yes you can. I left tucson around 6 or 7 am and wound up on ambergris caye that afternoon, was only a 4hr flight all together

jaydub:
yes you can. I left tucson around 6 or 7 am and wound up on ambergris caye that afternoon, was only a 4hr flight all together

NIce. Im eaving out of Phoenix and im seeing its actually a very pricey ticket!

I've been to both Belize and Costa Rica just this year. Both were awesome but it really depends on what you are looking for. For such a short time you really can't go wrong at either place.

Belize has much better looking beaches/water. IMO the diving is just as good in either location but I agree Belize has much more novice site. The water does push you around a little bit in the green season of Costa Rica but that in itself is good experience.

On the flip side Costa Rica has so much more to do topside then Belize. You could easily spend a month there exploring the country and enjoying all the activities. Belize (ambergris caye) on the other hand doesn't have much night life at all. Ambergris Caye is very small and you could drive from one side to the other in 45 minutes on a golf cart. It really is one of the most beautiful islands I've been to though. There's a couple spots on the island to party at but nothing compared to Costa Rica's Tamrindo area where most divers set up base camp.

For such a short trip I would suggest ambergris caye, Belize and save Costa Rica for a time when you could take two weeks. I'm in the process of writing a review for Belize but my Costa Rica trip is already up on http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/c8389/192795/

Check out Ramon's Village in Belize if you don't mind spending a little extra for the hotel. It's located right in the center of everything and has one of the best if not the best dive operations on the island. We had a great time at this place!

Back
Top Bottom