Bonaire - Belmar - February 6 - 14, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helimvee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another terrific trip to Bonaire. My 7th and my GF's 4th.

We booked the flight on our own through Continental.com and the Belmar package through Andy at Bonairepros.com.

Flight: Continental - Toronto to Houston to Bonaire

No issues with the flight. Security in Toronto was increased. They seemed to be enforcing the 1 limited size carryon for flights into the USA. Our carryons were tagged at checkin. At the Xray - metal detector station they went through my carryon (UW video housing and regs). There was a second security station set up just before the gate where they randomly checked passengers a second time. As usual there were delays.

On return from Bonaire, nothing was different except that they were "patting down" each passenger at the gate. No bags were being searched on this trip. Obviously no one told them about the carryon restrictions flying into the USA as almost everyone had a large roller bag plus another 1 or 2 smaller bags.

Airport Transfers

We were picked up at the airport and driven back by taxi. On the day prior to leaving we confirmed that the taxi would be there at 6:15. By 6:30 we were still waiting. We held on to our keys in case we had to go back into the room to call a cab. Fortunately a dive shop employee was already there and a quick telephone call resulted in the taxi arriving a few minutes later.

Belmar

All units are ocean front. The units I saw were all very clean and in good shape. Parking is at the back of the complex right at the road and only steps from the rear entrances. The stairs up to the units are tile but have a traction strip to prevent slipping.

We had unit #16, a 1-bedroom on the second floor near the middle of the building. The living area and bedoroom are airconditioned. The kitchen has a fridge/freezer with icemaker, dishwasher, microwave, cooktop, toaster oven, toaster and coffeemaker, (no oven). Well stocked with dishes, pots, etc.

The bedrrom is at the back of the unit, with the bathroom attached. The kitchen/living area is huge with couch, loveseat, chair and double fouton. There is a TV, but we did not use it.

The terrace is huge with 4 large padded wicker chairs, a table and a lounger. There are hooks for hanging suits and a rack for boots, towels, etc. The terrace overlooks the pool. You can see the adjoining units, but pillars and screens give privacy.

Both the backdoor and the sliding door to the terrace have double-keyed deadbolts. There is a safe in the bedroom closet.

A security guard was on-site in the evening. As we were usually asleep by 10:00 PM I cannot comment on whether he was there all night - although we did see him at 6:00 AM when we left.

Our friends had unit #7, a 2-bedroom on the main floor. The sq ft was the same as our unit, but the living area/kitchen was smaller to make room for the second bedroom. There was no AC in the living area. From their terrace you could walk directly to the pool area and then to the dock.

Another couple in our group had a 3-bedroom with a circular metal staircase that went up from the living area to the bedrooms.

Maid service and towel change is every second day.

Wireless internet is available for a fee. We could not connect in the room, but the signal from the terrace was good enough for using Skype on my netbook.

NOTE: Unless you arrange otherwise, your room may not be ready until 1:30 PM, or 3:00 PM (depending on who you talk to).

Dive Shop

Belmar has an onsite dive shop. The staff were friendly and helpful. Tanks (EAN and Air) are kept in a locked cage next to the shop. There was never a shortage of tanks. Fill quality was questionable - we found several tanks with PSI of less than 2,000 and some in the 1,500 range. O2 ranged from 31 - 33. Your room key opens the cage and there is also a key in the dive shop - available during business hours 8 AM - 5 PM.

Dive orientation is at 9:00 and lasts about 40 minutes. Useful information is provided without any commercials or advertising.

Rinse tanks, shower and storage locker room are behind the shop. A key to the locker room is included with your room key.

Air tanks and a shower are also located at the dive dock. The dive dock has a ladder for easy entry/exit.

The boat dock is NOT finished, but there were a few guys "working" on it during the week. What exactly they were doing was not clear, but at the rate they were moving I don't see it being finished for several weeks.

Truck

Our package included the typical 4-door truck. Ours was a Buddy Dive Mitsubishi - nicely scratched and dented so no worries about those mysterious little accidents that always seem to happen when hauling dive gear and tanks. The wooden rack in the bed was poorly designed and kept sliding around.

NOTE: Unless you arrange otherwise, your truck may not be ready until 1:30 PM. This is ridiculous when you consider the situation and the fact that if you get your truck through one of the companies at the airport you have it right away.

Diving

Along with the usual shore dives, we booked the UV night dive and La Dania-Karpata dive with Bas Noij at Blue Divers. Due to the arrival of his new daughter Bas had to cancel (we had been warned in advance) and we dove with his partner Willem. (Congratulations Bas)

The La Dania - Karpata dive was disappointing. It was a 50 minutes swim with no stops. We shoot video and photos and like to hang around rather than swim. In hindsight this dive was a bad choice given our diving style.

The UV night dive was cool. A very different experience that is difficult to describe. Give it a try.

We also booked a rebreather resort course with Walt Stark at Rec Tek Scuba. That was very cool. Why does the good stuff have to be so expensive?

Lionfish

OUr group saw 3 lionfish. 1 at Invisibles, 1 on the La Dania - Karpata dive and 1 at Andrea II. All were marked and very easy to find. The 1 at Andrea II had 3 markers on it.

Meals

We ate breakfast and most lunches in the room. Restaurants visited were Richards, Bistro de Paris, Pasa Bon, Rum Runners (takeout pizza), Papagayos, Bobby Jans, Eli Deli (in the plaza near the traffic circle). All good in their own way.

Next trip is June 2010 at Belmar.

What do you mean by the lionfish being "marked"?

What do you mean by the lionfish being "marked"?

I think he means the markers Stinapa is handing out to divers in order to mark the location of lionfish.

I think he means the markers Stinapa is handing out to divers in order to mark the location of lionfish.
I take it lionfish aren't very mobile? I guess I'll do my research on this. My last Bonaire visit was pre-lionfish.

I take it lionfish aren't very mobile? I guess I'll do my research on this. My last Bonaire visit was pre-lionfish.

Correct. The diveshops are handing out makrers (3' of plastic tape attached to a cork). I am no lionfish expert, but my understanding is that they do not roam very far, at least while there is food nearby.

I believe the Lion fish are very territorial like the seahorse. They usually stay put.
Why not mark seahorses and frogfish too, to make it easier for the rest of us to find them :crafty:

Where does the tape get wrapped, i.e. does STINAPA make sure that no divers are damaging sponges or corals?

Why not mark seahorses and frogfish too, to make it easier for the rest of us to find them :crafty:

Where does the tape get wrapped, i.e. does STINAPA make sure that no divers are damaging sponges or corals?

At the dive orientation they advised that the tape should be tied around a piece of dead coral allowing the end with the cork attached to float up.

Here is a link to the park's website if you want further information.

STINAPA - Bonaire National Marine Park

Interesting, the website only states "please gently tie the marker immediately above of the lionfish in the same coral colony (sponge or rock) as close as you can", nothing about the coral colony or sponge being dead (presumably the rock will be dead).

Fancy that, STINAPA instructs divers to tie stuff around coral, yet doesn't trust them to wear gloves.

Glad you enjoyed Belmar. I've stayed there three times; most recently in January. I agree about the progress on the dock, they may have it done by summer ;-)

Butchie is the security guard, he's been there over ten years. He likes to chat if you have a moment and loves pizza from Pasa Bon :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom