Bonaire-Divi Flamingo dive set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be going to Bonaire at the end of this month and will be staying at the Divi Flaming Hotel.

I want to do a lot of practicing off of the hotel's pier but was wondering what the set-up is like at the hotel. Does anyone know if they have lockers where you can leave your gear after washing it down? How is the Dive operation at the Hotel?

I am probably more "certified" than "qualified". What I mean is that I think I've gotten "relatively" proficient but because I live in New Jersey and don't dive around here (I'm a warm water type) I don't get much opportunity to practice. I believe that tactile and and other "sensory" practice is very important in diving.

Regarding "practice" ,what practice manuevers do you folks regularly do just to keep tuned up?

Thanks,

Sy

The Divi Flamingo has lockers right on the pier. Bring your own lock. They have a couple of gear rinse tanks as well. Here's a picture that's on www.tripadvisor.com that shows the dive lockers and rinse tanks. Have a great trip, we did!
the-dive-dock.jpg

There's plenty of locker space (including under the roofed space in the above photo). There isn't really a lot of space to conveniently set up your BC and reg on your tank and don your rig prior to splashing, so it's best to try to time your entries for when there isn't a dozen other divers trying to gear up at the same time.

I discovered that a dive skin was all I needed a couple of weeks ago in Bonaire. Made diving so much easier and protected me from sunburn.

I never got remotely chilled. After diving I could slip shorts and t-shirt over skin, and go to lunch!

Leave your neoprene at home!

There isn't a better site than Bonaire to practice all of your skills! Use your safety stops to practice OOA drills!

I too am a Jersey diver and have lefft my dry suit behind for clear, warm waters. Every year I travel to Bonaire and stay at the Divi...it is a first class operation with EASY diving. The dive lockers are set right on the pier/dock, you can giant stride off the back or sides of the dock, or use the 2 sets of large stairs on either side of the dock. The dock does get a bit crowded sometimes, especially when the boats come in at the same time. DO bring your own lock, the locks they sell are small luggage type locks and if you drop it, it will fall between the dock boards and you will have to buy another. Also, the locks they sell all seem to be keyed the same, as we found out a couple years ago when we lost our lock to the ocean and a friend was able to open our locker with his key. Tanks are available 24 hours/day, the house reef is nice and only about 20 yards from the end of the dock. You should find it very easy to practice your bouyancy skills here. I am a 6-1 212lb male and dive wearing a 3/2 full suit with a full tropical weight hood and was a little chilly...next year I will probably bring a 1m suit to wear under my 3/2. Wearing a full 3/2 wetsuit I use 10lb lead. I would recommend asking the boat crew (a day in advance) to take you down to Red Slave, it is a bit of a ride but the diving is worht it...and you get a nice water view of the island along the way. This year when down at Red Slave we saw a pod of dolphins swim by us. Food at Chibi Chibi restaurant is very good, although service could be faster..be prepared for "island time" service. Especially for lunch when you are trying to make the afternoon boat dives. Happy hour at the beach bar is fun, but again service is kind of slow so order yourself a couple drinks at one time. The walk to town is about 15 minutes along the water through the gate near the dive shop. BE sure to ask for a gate key when you check in. Also be sure to ask for a safe key when you check in for your in room safe to lock your valuables away. There are a few good restaurants in town to eat at. Also, if you like a good steak meal try Casablanca Argentinean Steak House. There is a supermarket called Culta Mara (i think) in town you can walk to for stock up on snacks, drinks and other things to stock your room fridge with if you have one. I found the Crystal Light on the go pouches (which I brought from home) were GREAT to have, as did everyone else in my group. You might also want to brinng about 20 feet of clothes line or similar rope to strinng across your balcony or porch to hand wet suit on...if you leave it hanging in locker it WILL start to stink before the week is out. Have great trip.

I am planning a scuba trip and Bonaire is a potential destination. From what I've read, shore diving in different locations is your best bet in Bonaire. However, my girlfriend and I don't feel comfortable doing our dives without a divemaster or more experienced divers present. Are there 'guided' shore dive excursions perhaps from the local dive shops? If so, can anyone recommend one or two?
All the stuff I've read, people rent a pick-up, get some tanks, and do their own excursions around the island.
Thanks,
Anthony

Anthony, if you check with the dive shop you choose to use they can set you up with a divemaster. However, shore diving on Bonaire is so easy that you will quickly become comfortable being on your own. If you are staying at one of the resorts on the water, spend some time on the "house" reef before heading out to other sites. Navigation at most sites is VERY easy. Many divers who are just starting out swim to the marker, take a compass heading towards shore, drop down, note the depth of the marker base (a cement block, barrels or some other anchor) and then begin the dive into the current (if there is any). Turn at your predetermined time and work your way back to the marker, use your compass to head to shore and then surface when you are in just a few feet of water. If you do not yet have a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter you should consider getting one either before your trip (www.bsdme.info) or once on island at a dive shop or Chat and Browse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom