Bonaire eagle rays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were on Bonaire last week. At the end of the last dive of the trip, a pair of spotted eagle rays came to us and swam in a circle for a bit. They were not close enough for great photos but plenty close enough for taking a photo.

Spotted eagle rays
That’s fantastic! The only one we saw in January was when diving the east side, and it was too far away to even get a bad picture.

Erik

We were in the White Hole a couple of years ago (with East Coast Divers), and a phalanx of at least a half-dozen graced us with a long fly-by. here’s a little video, albeit mediocre. Always humbling.

What a lovely use of phalanx. The video is cool, but the image of a phalanx of rays is much more impressive!

What a lovely use of phalanx. The video is cool, but the image of a phalanx of rays is much more impressive!
Glad to amuse! On review, “phalanx” is a bit more militaristic than I knew—but it doesn’t seem like seven is enough to be a “fever,” the term for those amazing groups of thousands of rays on my bucket list.

Glad to amuse! On review, “phalanx” is a bit more militaristic than I knew—but it doesn’t seem like seven is enough to be a “fever,” the term for those amazing groups of thousands of rays on my bucket list.
My favorite is a "Hootie of Blowfish". Someone made that up a few years ago.

We were in the White Hole a couple of years ago (with East Coast Divers), and a phalanx of at least a half-dozen graced us with a long fly-by. here’s a little video, albeit mediocre. Always humbling.
Wow, I count 7 in your video! I was allowed to join a group of 3 at the Hilma Hooker a while back. Not quite a phalanx, but here's the video and thread.

Wow, I count 7 in your video! I was allowed to join a group of 3 at the Hilma Hooker a while back. Not quite a phalanx, but here's the video and thread.

Love this video! Can’t tell you how many people I’ve shared it with.

Erik

Love this video! Can’t tell you how many people I’ve shared it with.

Erik
Wow, that's extremely nice of you to say! Part of me regrets not shutting the camera down and savoring the moment, but it is a cool video.

I can understand that. My wife and my father are/were avid photographers. There are times I’ve thought “put the camera down and enjoy”, but I do LOVE looking at their photos, as do they.
It’s a wonderful talent.

Back
Top Bottom