Bonaire Exit/reentry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I often thought why can't they just pour alittle concrete at each site, just enough to get past the turbulace at shoreline. 15’ or so would do it.

Slime perhaps?

I often thought why can't they just pour alittle concrete at each site, just enough to get past the turbulace at shoreline. 15’ or so would do it.
Doesn't that get super slippery?

Doesn't that get super slippery?

you can add gradient to it so that it has a 'tread' eventually it will become slippy though. There are solutions that can be replaced every decade+ relatively cost effectively.

either way, it seems general support wouldn't be there for it and it's hard to disagree with the 'if it ain't broke' philosophy...at least for now.....although i have to say... i haven't seen anyone still struggling over the rocks shouting 'if it ain't broke!' where an entryway has recently been built :)

While I agree that concrete and railings would likely not be durable or safe enough to work, when I was there in February, my wife and I always looked for the entry with the least ironshore and most sand. At the time, I commented that perhaps they could cut a small channel in the ironshore to allow a steady entry without the step down and potholes. If they did this from the high tide line into the water, it would stop a lot of falls. Seems to me that the hardest part of the entry/exit at some sites is the ledge near shore. However, if this wasn't possible, everything should just be left alone - you can always go elsewhere where this easier access.

yes... I was in Malta a couple of years ago and there were steps cut into rock for diving entry. I asked the DM how long they had been there. His answer was ' not sure, at least as long as my family have lived here' i asked him how long that was and he followed it with 'about 650 years'....

It is what it is. Destroying the natural seascape in any way to make access easier would be IMO, a sin. If you want easy entry, choose your sites wisely, dive from a resort dock, or go boat diving. There are many options on Bonaire.

I dove with some friends from the Netherlands and on entry and exit we would grab each other by the elbow, basically locking forearms which provided some much needed stabilty on some of the enteries. I thought that manoeuver helped immensely.

I dove with some friends from the Netherlands and on entry and exit we would grab each other by the elbow, basically locking forearms which provided some much needed stabilty on some of the enteries. I thought that manoeuver helped immensely.

and whenever I do it with my friends in Bonaire we are all ‘Get the F away from me before you kill us all !’ :)

but seriously, Général approach is for ‘piggy’ to get our first, shed their gear and then come back of anyone needs help.

and whenever I do it with my friends in Bonaire we are all ‘Get the F away from me before you kill us all !’ :)

but seriously, Général approach is for ‘piggy’ to get our first, shed their gear and then come back of anyone needs help.
My Dutch friends did make this comment. “You can usually tell the Americans on the entries and exits. They rarely help each other. “

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom