Bonaire First Timers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually leave a partly filled safety sausage at the point I want to turn back to shore. I take an extra 2 lb. weight and anchor it on the bottom where I can see it on my return.

Finally the correct answer!

I would suggest using a 2 liter soft drink bottle on 6 or so feet of string.

Place it in say... 20 feet of water. that's a nice depth that you would likely be returning in- some leave it where the reef breaks and descends. Whatever, just memorize exactly the bottom depth where you leave it.

Never fails.

I also keep a pair of Crocs (the MallWart cheapo version) tied to it- easier to exit thru the riprap of broken coral than any set of booties.

This may have already been mentioned and I missed it-but we were advised to leave nothing in our rental truck and leave the truck unlocked. We had a great time and the diving was incredible!

In "The Adventures of Captain Don", a book by Don Stewart - the legendary Captain Don of Bonaire fame - he says he carried condoms while diving in order to inflate them and tie them off as waypoints marking the path to his entry/exit point. Of course he was the first person to dive in Bonaire. I've never found it that hard to identify a natural landmark to look for on the way back, but I agree with Roatan Man that it's important to note the exact depth of your landmark before you set off.

In "The Adventures of Captain Don", a book by Don Stewart - the legendary Captain Don of Bonaire fame - he says he carried condoms while diving in order to inflate them and tie them off as waypoints marking the path to his entry/exit point. Of course he was the first person to dive in Bonaire. I've never found it that hard to identify a natural landmark to look for on the way back, but I agree with Roatan Man that it's important to note the exact depth of your landmark before you set off.

Gonna have to get that book. Was in Bonaire a couple of weeks ago and Captain Don dropped by his resturant. He is quite a charactor! He had much more to say to the ladies at our table than us guys, but it was an interesting evening.

You all will have so much fun! My husband and I were there in Nov 2006 and I had only made like 10 dives. We had ordered "Shore Dving Made Easy" before going and I went through picking out what I though sounded like the easiest dives to start with. I think we did Alice in Wonderland first. Anyway, things worked out beautifully. We only made one boat dive over to Klein Bonaire. We much preferred diving where and when we wanted. We would snorkel out to the mooring bouy as there was stuff to see in the sand on the way. My husband would take a compass reading on the truck from there. Then we would descend (don't touch the rope as it sometimes has fire coral on it). When we descended we would check our depth and then swim into the current (of which there was very little). We usually explored between 30 and 60 feet. When the fist person got to 1500 psi we turned around and came back at the depth off the mooring. When we got to the mooring we turned and followed the compass bearing straight in to shore and surfaced in front of the truck. Make sure you have dive booties with pretty sturdy soles as the coral shore is sharp. Anyway, we had other solo people dive with us at times. About the night diving...the Town Pier is a great night dive but you have to sign up and go with a divemaster. But when we were eating dinner at Buddy Dive there were a good many people diving the house reef at night. We could see all their lights while we were eating. There is also a large resident tarpon that comes in there at night to greet the divers. They call him Charlie and we could see him, also, from where we were sitting. We also did a dive that ended at dusk at Oil Slick Leap. You could see the day creatures going in and the night creatures coming out. That was probably my favorite dive site. It was alot of fun making the giant stride off the rocks. Well happy and safe diving. Any more questions feel free to ask or PM me.

You all will have so much fun! My husband and I were there in Nov 2006 and I had only made like 10 dives. We had ordered "Shore Dving Made Easy" before going and I went through picking out what I though sounded like the easiest dives to start with. I think we did Alice in Wonderland first. Anyway, things worked out beautifully. We only made one boat dive over to Klein Bonaire. We much preferred diving where and when we wanted. We would snorkel out to the mooring bouy as there was stuff to see in the sand on the way. My husband would take a compass reading on the truck from there. Then we would descend (don't touch the rope as it sometimes has fire coral on it). When we descended we would check our depth and then swim into the current (of which there was very little). We usually explored between 30 and 60 feet. When the fist person got to 1500 psi we turned around and came back at the depth off the mooring. When we got to the mooring we turned and followed the compass bearing straight in to shore and surfaced in front of the truck. Make sure you have dive booties with pretty sturdy soles as the coral shore is sharp. Anyway, we had other solo people dive with us at times. About the night diving...the Town Pier is a great night dive but you have to sign up and go with a divemaster. But when we were eating dinner at Buddy Dive there were a good many people diving the house reef at night. We could see all their lights while we were eating. There is also a large resident tarpon that comes in there at night to greet the divers. They call him Charlie and we could see him, also, from where we were sitting. We also did a dive that ended at dusk at Oil Slick Leap. You could see the day creatures going in and the night creatures coming out. That was probably my favorite dive site. It was alot of fun making the giant stride off the rocks. Well happy and safe diving. Any more questions feel free to ask or PM me.

We always do several night dives at Buddy each time we're there. I think there is more than one Charlie, as I've had two large tarpon with me on several of those dives.
I do have one word of caution though if you do a night dive at Buddy. There is a large flourescent light on the staging area, which makes gearing up and entry/exit easier, but I think that this light attracts the jellies if they are near. We were warned to be aware of this by local divers, and it seems to be true. My 13 year old son got some nasty stings last year, and the nurse at the hospitol said she sees more jellyfish stings from Buddy than anywhere else.
Just be cautious and it's easy to avoid a problem: shut off your light as you get into the exit area and stay on the bottom till you reach the exit ladder (it's easy to see without your light on the bottom here because of that flourescent), look up with a short use of your light to see if the jellies are there (don't use your light here any more than neccessary as, if jellyfish are pressent they are attracted to light) If you do see jellyfish above you then go to the foot over the ladder, staying on the bottom, remove your fins and using you alternate air regulator, push the purge buttom to release a large burst of air to drive the jellies away, and then quickly accend the ladder. As my son discovered, it also helps to wear a full suit on night dives to avoid accidental contact with such creatures.
We will be back at Bonaire and Buddy this April. Love Bonaire shore diving,and the night dives there are awesome!

OKAY, been to the great Bonaire...what I love the shore diving, the boat diving (especially two in the morning, without playing yoyo) all the stuff you can find and see there. But I have been there and done that a few times now... I know some locals, I have been there enough.. where to next and why? Beleize was nice as was the Bahamas, Honduras, Cabo and San Diego for something different, So where should I go next in the Carribean? Considering Turks and Caicos, San Lucia, Oh and for me an average day of diving after the first day is 6 to 8 dives each day...

THANKS,
Mark Kistner

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom