Bonaire for a solo diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One observation is that some resorts like Buddy's welcomes all divers to use their site for shore diving, and just stopping by there and chatting with other divers on the docks at such a resort can find you some compatible dive buddies.

You can also stay elsewhere on the island and just use a shore dive package, or a boat dive package at the resort.

It's Boniare, there are many ways to dive and to meet new friends.

You don't have to go to Buddy Dive, but there are a few other resorts like Den Lamen that do not allow non paying customers to dive their sites, so meeting a potential buddy there can be a bit more hit or miss.

If you're looking for a dive buddy, talk to groups at breakfast, and put up a paper on the resort's bulletin board asking for a buddy and leave your room number and diving likes.

Thank you all for the replies. TC I don't really know when I am going. The thought just popped up. I am going to Hawaii in August and wanted to go somewhere I could get some experience before then. It is kind of a catch 22. I dont feel like I'm ready for an AOW class yet going somewhere with just an OW certification may be hard to find people to dive with. Bonaire sounded like a great place to get a lot of experience diving fairly easy reef dives in a short amount of time, on the other hand I wouldn't want to hold other divers back and keep them from enjoying their trip. I'm from Colorado so obviously local diving is virtually non existent. I work a two week on two off schedule and am going to go dive somewhere in May and or June. I have a buddy in Palm Beach, FL that also just got certified so I may go see him and try to do some diving there.

Thank you all for the replies. TC I don't really know when I am going. The thought just popped up.
Well, if you pick that time, shoot me a PM.

I dont feel like I'm ready for an AOW class yet going somewhere with just an OW certification may be hard to find people to dive with.
Trust me, In Bonaire, you won't hinder anyone's diving. Almost every dive there I max out at 45-50 feet, and average 30. I just float along...

I came back from A-stan in 2012. I had a month of leave, and took the entire family to Bonaire. I paid for my sister's OW certification while I was deployed. Her dive number #6 was Buddy Reef. I've spoiled her. I would not hesitate to take a OW diver along in Bonaire.

I have a buddy in Palm Beach, FL that also just got certified so I may go see him and try to do some diving there.
The Blue Heron Bridge there is another Perfect option. And if you don't have a dive buddy, just show up in the parking lot, and ask a few groups, or post a question in the Blue Heron Bridge Trolls in the Florida sub-forum.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/386645-blue-heron-bridge-trolls-630.html

Thanks again for all the replies gents. I've been all over the place on this! Considered going to Cozumel, Turks and Caicos and the aforementioned Palm Beach. I will eventually get to all of these but I just booked a week in Bonaire from May 24-31. I booked Buddy Dive Drive and Dive. I'm going to post a separate thread here and on Bonaire Talk looking for a buddy. Very excited!

Thank you all again.

Back
Top Bottom