Bonaire inoculations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for the T-Virus...

Be sure to have a current tetanus shot. They are good for 10 years unless there is a substantial injury (requires stitches, puncture wound, visit to the dr) then it should be updated after 5 years. If you are going to travel in the fall and winter, get your flu shot. There are plenty of germs on airplanes.

I think you should have the Hep A even for the good ole US of A.
Then you have to have the "teeter or titter" test to see if it took.
I've had the Hep A and B for places I used to go for work.
Pam has the Hep A just for eating cheeseburgers.

Yes, Hep A. This is actually recommend even in the states nowadays.
I also have gotten typhoid, which is good for more 3rd world countries and probably not needed for Bonaire but a very good idea for Mexico. I usually go by the CDC website. I think I have the typhoid and yellow fever shots for my Africa or Central America trips.
Tetanus is important when shore diving, since its easy to cut hands and feet.
Use bug spray as Dengue is indigenous to Bonaire. ( its also become indigenous to the Florida Keys lately,BTW). You really don't want to get Dengue. The no-see-ums can be bad,to and I've had a miserable trip to a few countries when bitten by no-see-ums. ( Nicauragua specifically).
I love Cactus Juice, it has sunscreen and bug repellent and I've had it work well in Bonaire. Other people claim it doesn't work. It was recommended to me by a woman who has a house in Honduras and I've never had a problem with it. Maybe others don't apply it thickly enough or frequently enough? I find it works great!
Of course flu shot. When traveling, everybody on the planes is sick. You sure don't want to be sick during or after your trip.

none that I know of, was there in August.......

Nothing at all!

I just make sure my Tetanus is up to date, have also had Hep A and B vaccinations and bring bug spray. Bonaire is quite civilized. ( You can even drink the water ) You do not need Typhoid, Yellow Fever etc.
As tracydr said, also worth checking the CDC website to see if any recent outbreaks have being reported.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom