Bonaire March 24-31, 2013, Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverAmy

Prism2 CCR Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Transit:
I booked Insel Air 4 months in advance for non-stop round trip transit from MIA – BON on 3/23. My son checked the booking about a week before and noticed that there was a discrepancy about the departure time, his partner checked also and each came to the conclusion that the flight left at a different time. They called me, I checked, and sure enough, the non-stop flight was cancelled. I called Insel and they told me the flight had been rerouted through Curacao and we were now scheduled to arrive at 1 am, Sunday. I never received any notice of this, and if my son hadn’t checked we would have arrived at the airport for our afternoon flight, only to discover that we were on a 9 PM flight instead. Kevin took over dealing with the issue and changed our flights to Sun-Sun rather than the Sat-Sat that we originally booked. Insel air did this free of charge, although it took until 4 days prior to our departure to get it all set up. Buddy dive accommodated the change 4 days prior to our arrival, with the condition that we agree to switch from our two one-bedroom efficiencies to a three-bedroom efficiency on the last night to accommodate other guests. Our transfers to and from the airport went off without a hitch. The flights were on time and smooth. The short lay-over in Curacao was without incident.

Accommodations:
We bought the dive and drive package and stayed for a week. The rooms were sufficient. Between the two rooms we had enough dishes, pots, and pans. The air-conditioners worked fine. The cleaning staff was a bit stingy with the bath and dish towels but we got by. The two pick-up trucks worked well enough. We used one for dinner/shopping and one for shore diving. The tank drive-through has a 2 tank per person limit, which made the day we did 3 dives in the National Park a bit tricky. We fooled the staff by taking 4 tanks the evening before, hiding them in truck 1, claiming our 8 tanks the following morning, and stacking them all up in one truck. Certain members of the dive staff were a bit hostile. We had one problem with someone, but it was resolved to our satisfaction after some arguing. Mostly, the staff was friendly.

Food:
We cooked and ate all of our lunches and dinners, with the exception of three, in our rooms. The breakfasts included in the package were decent. The 2 dinners out were to “Capriccios” and “At Sea.” At “At Sea” we were seated outside, although the setting was lovely, the table was overrun with small insects and mosquitoes and many other diners smoked liberally throughout the meal. Two of us are vegetarians and they accommodated us with very nice meals. Both of the non-vegetarians chose coq-a-vin for dinner and found it exceptionally dry and tough. I would say; overall, this place was way overpriced. At Capriccios, we ate indoors; however, the restaurant was also filled with mosquitoes. The food was excellent, though also pricy. We had Gelato a few times at GIO’s. It was excellent. I hate to be a hater, but I would SKIP La Ma Se. Two of us had uninspired “milk shakes” there, that Norman wanted $6 a piece for! Lunches and dinners and snacks from the supermarket averaged about $20/day per person. We ate most lunch as picnics at dive sights.

Diving:
We did 19 dives in 5 ½ days, three by boat. We were entitled to six boat dives with the package. I think next time, I wouldn’t bother with that many. Those three were to the Hilma Hooker, and to Klein. Both Klein dives were on the S or SW side of Klein (Hands Off and SW corner). We loved SW corner, Hands Off was nothing special, although we did spot only 1 of 2 green morays of the trip there, as well as a large eagle ray. The other was on the Hilma Hooker. For that boat dive, we wandered over to the second reef line for a bit, as well.
In the National Park, we dove Playa Funchi, Wayaka, and Boka Slagbaai. Wayaka was by far my favorite dive in Bonaire. We saw turtles, squid, a roughtail stingray (?) and the reef was lush and the animal life abundant. This was my favorite day of diving.
We dove Tolo and Karpata, once each. We dove 1000 Steps 3 times, once as a night dive. We dove Andrea 1 and 2, Buddy reef twice (once as the check out dive, once out of laziness), Bari twice, Windsock, The Lake (where Kevin’s “hidden” camera was stolen, along with both boys flip flops, one pair of sunglasses, two dry bags, 4 Buddy Dive towels, one old beat up dive bag (for the bootie, I would imagine), some dive tools (our beloved crescent wrench), and a bag of good-n-plenty style candy. Nothing of mine was taken (I think it sometimes pays to be a girl), and finally Alice in Wonderland. My general impression was that there was more animal life to the south and lusher reef life to the north. I still have never seen either a sea horse or a frog fish. We have crowned the brown chromis the official fish of Bonaire.

Extras:
We took a picnic down to 1000 steps and fought off the aggressive iguanas the whole time. People, stop feeding the iguanas! We saw 100s of donkeys and goats. We drove as far south as the lighthouse and as far north as Playa Funchi. It was an exhausting and wonderful week. This was Kevin and my second trip to Bonaire. I hope to return next year.

Attachments

• P1000580.jpg
    P1000580.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 153
  • P1000605.jpg
    P1000605.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 89
  • P1000618.jpg
    P1000618.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 86
  • P1000629.jpg
    P1000629.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 79
  • P1000635.jpg
    P1000635.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 78
  • P1000652.jpg
    P1000652.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 78
  • P1000682.jpg
    P1000682.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 68
  • P1000683.jpg
    P1000683.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 78
  • P1000691.jpg
    P1000691.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 73
  • P1000749.jpg
    P1000749.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 89
  • P1000777.jpg
    P1000777.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 75
  • P1000780.jpg
    P1000780.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 84
  • P1000801.jpg
    P1000801.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 83
  • P1000804.jpg
    P1000804.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 78
  • P1000809.jpg
    P1000809.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Wonderful report and glad to hear that overall it was a great trip. I have to agree on La Ma Se. Interesting experience but that's about it.

And for Insel. There have been scheduling changes each time we have used them but I have yet to ever be notified by them. I always book Insel through Travelocity and get quick notification and resolution through them.

We are using Insel later this month--I guess I must check. Insel has already sent us 2 changes by email. AmyLora, go to da bridge, BHB--the Blue Heron Bridge--to see both seahorses and frogfish--maybe on the same dive!! We used to hope to see one or t'uther on trips to Bonaire and elsewhere, but now we enjoy seeing them sometimes near the house.................Going to Bonaire anyway though, if Insel gets us there!! We are now into the spring froggie season at BHB and more and more octos are showing up as well.

First of the month there was both a frog fish and a seahorse in front of Dive Inn at ChaChaCha. If you ask, they can show you a map of any interesting finds. But otherwise I don't recommend this site.

Great report. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

I got a chuckle out of your comment "People, stop feeding the iguanas!" I couldn't help thinking similar thoughts when reading about the pilferage from your truck. Thieves continue to steal from unattended trucks because divers feed them a steady diet of goodies. It's not right, and nobody deserves to be a victim, but it's been like this for the 16 years we've been visiting Bonaire. Your unfortunate loss was both predictable and avoidable. Did Buddy Dive mention this when you rented the trucks?

We've been doing shore dives only on Bonaire for the last 10 years. It's almost impossible to leave nothing in the truck, but we try to leave as little value as possible. We bring well-seasoned t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, and towels just for this purpose. Sunglasses, credit cards, and cash go in a small Otterbox in a BC pocket. We leave our clothing as scattered as possible, rather than in easy-to-grab piles or bags etc. Flip-flops get strewn about the bed of the truck, shorts go on the back seat, towels on the front-seat cushion, and t-shirts on the front-seat back. Nothing else is left in the truck. Windows are always down at least 6 inches, but usually open. If it's raining we park sideways to the wind and leave the leeward windows down. We also leave trash collected at dive sites rolling around on the floor for additional distraction. So far we've been lucky and haven't had anything taken. But the thieves are getting smarter, bolder, and hungrier. Please stop feeding them.

How stupid of me. I read your report then went back later to post and forgot to mention that i was sorry to hear about the theft.

Great report. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

I got a chuckle out of your comment "People, stop feeding the iguanas!" I couldn't help thinking similar thoughts when reading about the pilferage from your truck. Thieves continue to steal from unattended trucks because divers feed them a steady diet of goodies. It's not right, and nobody deserves to be a victim, but it's been like this for the 16 years we've been visiting Bonaire. Your unfortunate loss was both predictable and avoidable. Did Buddy Dive mention this when you rented the trucks?

We've been doing shore dives only on Bonaire for the last 10 years. It's almost impossible to leave nothing in the truck, but we try to leave as little value as possible. We bring well-seasoned t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops, and towels just for this purpose. Sunglasses, credit cards, and cash go in a small Otterbox in a BC pocket. We leave our clothing as scattered as possible, rather than in easy-to-grab piles or bags etc. Flip-flops get strewn about the bed of the truck, shorts go on the back seat, towels on the front-seat cushion, and t-shirts on the front-seat back. Nothing else is left in the truck. Windows are always down at least 6 inches, but usually open. If it's raining we park sideways to the wind and leave the leeward windows down. We also leave trash collected at dive sites rolling around on the floor for additional distraction. So far we've been lucky and haven't had anything taken. But the thieves are getting smarter, bolder, and hungrier. Please stop feeding them.

Thanks. I agree. Yes, we knew. I only had a tee shirt and flip flops in the car, which were left untouched (though perhaps they didn't fit any of the thieves). Others decided for themselves what to leave in the car. Great analogy. More to the story ... the rest of the trip my son muttered, "show me your flip flops" under his breath to every local. Live and learn, or not. At any rate, in the spirit of honest disclosure and to serve as a warning to others who choose to heed it, I decided to include the theft part of the story.

---------- Post added April 1st, 2013 at 08:58 PM ----------

I certainly need to get to BHB more often. I only was there once as part of my rescue diver training. There was strong current (not during high tide) and I never got a chance to look around.

Thanks for the review! Looking forward to our upcoming trip!

Interestingly, this last trip, the car rental company had us lock the truck everywhere but the dive sites. Prior trips, the lock mechanisms were actually disabled so they could not be locked at all. The rental agency said that they now require locking at nondive sites for insurance purposes.

Great post. We were actually there at the same time although we kept the sat to sat itinerary despite the flight delay. Spent the day in Miami before returning to the airport. We stayed at the Belmar. Great trip although Insel lost a bag on the way back which is apparently en route to me now. Would go back in a second. Best low key dive vacation ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom