Bonaire Night Dive: carry lights or rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underwasser bolt

Contributor
Reaction score
With the weight and bag limitation now imposed by airlines, should i carry my lights or rent them when i get there? I have an 8 C cell Shockwave II and of course backups.

If you're only going to do one or two night dives I'd probably just rent.

With the visibility being what it is (i.e. *astonishingly* better than my usual sites), I plan on taking a 4-C LED flashlight plus my little 4-AA as a backup. I like to have a light to look in dark holes and crevices, since little things are often hanging out being cool. :biggrin:

I'm not going to take my large, bright lights, as those are great for the local murk, but they're unbearable overkill for a night dive in such clear water. I treat light like salt: A little makes the dive so much better, but too much ruins the thing.

(Actually, our trip's scheduled in almost the perfect part of the lunar cycle. We may be able to do without light for almost the whole dives, which is always a blast. :D)

Depends how much you will use a light. But they tend to charge a lot for light rentals relative to the cost of the light, probably because of the batteries. It's easy to do a lot of night dives in Bonaire if you want to, and I use a smaller but bright light during the day alot.

Put the batteries in your carry-on (they're small) and your light in checked (it's lightweight without batteries.) It minimizes the baggage issue and TSA doesn't like lights loaded with batteries anyway.

We always take our torches because we use them during daytime dives as well as night dives. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't illuminate all the nooks and crannies in the reef to find critters during the day.

I've heard that the chemical light sticks aren't allowed on Bonaire, so if that's what you normally use on night dives, you might ask about that. We were glad we bought Glo-Toobs so we don't have to worry about it. :D

I take mine but then again they are all either 4 c or 4 AA. You just don't need the huge lights on Bonaire. I often do a night dive or 2 with no lights (handy but off).
Chem lights- glow sticks are prohibited on Bonaire so don't bring them. Some use the tank marker lights but I really don't see the need, I know who I am diving with.

I packed my 4 c cell light down and it was almost overkill. My budy had his AA light and that was plenty of light. I'm with the others, if you are close to the weight restriction I'd just go with a single small light and pack a spare set of batteries.

My wife and i have the UK Eled 4 c cell and that is plenty of light for there. The first trip there i took my 8 d cell and lit up the entire area like daylight and everything seemed to disappear, compared to using the smaller lights.

Please be sure to take any used batteries home with you for disposal instead of leaving them for the Bonaire landfill.

Another vote for a full moon dive. We did it last trip and it was phenominal. The other weird thing is all the Fire Worms were all out mating, every coral head had a Fire Worm.

Back
Top Bottom