Bonaire - Nitrox desirable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course - your time underwater is most determined by your SCR - Nitrox does not reduce your gas consumption. One of my hardest tasks was to convince a diver who averaged 20 minutes on a 80 that he would not get longer bottom times with nitrox. So if you are relaxed and can spend the extra time then Nitrox is grand - if not it is a waste.
QUOTE]

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm a bit of a gas hog right now, I've got 17 dives and getting better, but an AL80@30ft I'm good for ~45-50min to 500psi

Wouldn't Nitrox give me an advantage to shorter surface intervals? And generally be safer for multiple dives/day? Thats really why I'm considering it.

I guess whats best- a multilevel profile with my trusty air computer, or a Nitrox dive off a table? (I don't intend to buy a nitrox computer right away).

If its a pretty much a wash, then I'll save $300 on the class and put it off till later when I'm not rushing it in before my trip.

Of course - your time underwater is most determined by your SCR - Nitrox does not reduce your gas consumption. One of my hardest tasks was to convince a diver who averaged 20 minutes on a 80 that he would not get longer bottom times with nitrox. So if you are relaxed and can spend the extra time then Nitrox is grand - if not it is a waste.
QUOTE]

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm a bit of a gas hog right now, I've got 17 dives and getting better, but an AL80@30ft I'm good for ~45-50min to 500psi

Wouldn't Nitrox give me an advantage to shorter surface intervals? And generally be safer for multiple dives/day? Thats really why I'm considering it.

I guess whats best- a multilevel profile with my trusty air computer, or a Nitrox dive off a table? (I don't intend to buy a nitrox computer right away).

If its a pretty much a wash, then I'll save $300 on the class and put it off till later when I'm not rushing it in before my trip.

Nitrox and tables will give you more no deco time, but you'll never see it because you're still blowing through your bottle. On the other hand, the certification doesn't expire.

Here in NC - Nitrox class is around $75 plus the cost of the book!

I would do the class in Bonaire!

Last edited:

QUOTE]

I vote for computer. Most of Bonaire dives are multilevel. It will be pain to do calculations before every dive. Nitrox though will add some safety margin when you follow dive on air computer

QUOTE]

You can dive Nitrox on an air computer. You won't see the extended bottom times or shorter SI's, but you'll be adding in a margin of safety. They'll review that option in your class.

Do the nitrox with the air computer. You will not recognize the advantages of longer bottom time or shorter surface intervals, but you will dive safer. Buy a computer some other year.

The other advantages are not so clearly defined. When diving nitrox I can stay up past 7 pm and do not need a nap after a 3 / 4 dive day. Also, I tend to be warmer, which is important when you are looking at your forth or fifth dives of the day.

As for class costs, I am looking at that right now for my wife. We are on the dark side of 50 so for her and I diving nitrox is just good insurance. We will be spending two weeks on Bonaire iin Feb and the nitrox is free. A PADI shop down the street will do a nitrox class for $75, then you need the DVD and Book for another $75. So that sounds a lot like $150.

Ok, you can do it on the island for $150 and it includes two dives with an instructor. In NY does it include two cold miserable dives ? I would pay extra to avoid that. PADI no longer requires the dives and you shouldn't need to buy two DVD's. So, there is some more food for thought.

I would vote for some version of doing the prep work ahead of time. Watching the DVD on the flight and working thru the book. Then if dives are required, do the dives on Bonaire. If not required, find a way to save on books and DVD's and do it anyway. Studying the first afternoon on Bonaire is not miserable.

good luck don O

The other advantages are not so clearly defined. When diving nitrox I can stay up past 7 pm and do not need a nap after a 3 / 4 dive day. Also, I tend to be warmer, which is important when you are looking at your forth or fifth dives of the day.

As for class costs, I am looking at that right now for my wife. We are on the dark side of 50 so for her and I diving nitrox is just good insurance. We will be spending two weeks on Bonaire iin Feb and the nitrox is free. A PADI shop down the street will do a nitrox class for $75, then you need the DVD and Book for another $75. So that sounds a lot like $150.

Ok, you can do it on the island for $150 and it includes two dives with an instructor. In NY does it include two cold miserable dives ? I would pay extra to avoid that. PADI no longer requires the dives and you shouldn't need to buy two DVD's. So, there is some more food for thought.

$150 No dives included just classroom (although I'm used to my cold crappy water here), Its just a case of my LDS taking advantage..Thats why I buy all my gear online, thier prices are just ludicris. I have seen nitrox courses at resorts for $100. And resorts are supposed to be more!

Overall sounds like its not really a must have, maybe i'll see if I can do the book work on the plane, come down and just take the test/hands on and be done with it. I'm sure I can just learn this mostly on my own.

Let's cut to the chase: Do the course. Pay the surcharge for the gas. Do 5 dives a day safely. Have a blast. Wish I was joining you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom