Bonaire shore diver goes boat riding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somebody make me feel better...

NOAA has Belize City directly on the centerline of the probability cone for TS Earl. Forecasted to hit in about 36 hours - sometime this Thursday 8/4, and maybe as a weak hurricane by landfall.

My trip is scheduled for a week later - 8/13. Should I start drinking now, or wait until I get on Aggressor IV?

By the time you get there, you probably won't even know it hit.

Well, this shore diver ain't going boat riding, at least not next week.

I've been obsessing since last week over hotels, flights, infrastructure, etc. Turns out nothing there would impede the trip.

Just got the call that Agressor IV is broke and won't be going next week. They're trying to re-book me, but the problem is the 10 day thing. I don't do 7 day trips, and 10 days is marginal. Had the 10-day not been available I wouldn't have even considered it.

Damn.

If they can re-book on the 8/24 10-day trip then I'd do it gladly. If not, maybe I can just get out of this and get (most) of my $ back, punt the whole live-aboard thing, and go to Bonaire.

Damn.

I am sorry to hear that your trip got cancelled at the last minute, that is very disappointing, but it might actually be a blessing in disguise. Belize was just hit with a major storm and even though the Aggressor could head for the best areas, it may be that the vis would be bad and there may be lots of wind and rain. Even when the sky is blue and sunny you can get winded out on the reefs and the water may be all stirred up for quite awhile.

We went to Roatan one time right after a big storm hit Cozumel. We felt so lucky that the storm had missed Roatan but when we got there the diving was disappointing. We had bad vis and wind, rain, and waves the entire time. We did some diving but not as much as we had hoped and it wasn't great. I'm not saying that's how it is in Belize right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is that way. And don't ask the hotels and dive ops for an update, they will tell you that everything is great.

But 10 days is a long, darn time on a liveaboard IMO. As much as I enjoy LOB diving I am ready to get off the boat at the end of the week. But I understand what you mean about not wanting to take 7 day trips, we don't do that anymore either. By the time you go through the hassle of travel and jet lag, packing and unpacking, and going through security and customs and immigration, we just want to take our time and enjoy ourselves. And you will have to spend the same amount of money on airfare whether you stay for one week or two.

So when we take a LOB trip we like to split it to spend time on both land and sea. We have done land and LOB combo trips in places like the Caymans, T&Cs, Saba/St. Kitts/St. Martin, Hawaii, Egypt, Belize, Cabo, and the Bahamas.

Of course it is more expensive to spend time on both land and sea, but there are ways to reduce the expense and the Aggressor will probably offer you a deep discount on a future trip because of the inconvenience (they should!) so the costs may work out.

Good luck to you and I hope you find a great trip!

Last edited:
KathyV, perhaps 7 days is enough on a Caribbean lob but for places like Raja Ampat, Maldives etc., 10 days is almost minimum. Of course the boat one picks should be a lot more comfortable than the Explorer Ventures in T&C (for example ) to be able to fully enjoy the 10 days.

KathyV, perhaps 7 days is enough on a Caribbean lob but for places like Raja Ampat, Maldives etc., 10 days is almost minimum. Of course the boat one picks should be a lot more comfortable than the Explorer Ventures in T&C (for example ) to be able to fully enjoy the 10 days.

Maybe, I have never been to the Maldives or RA, but a week on a LOB in the Red Sea was enough for me, and it was the most luxurious and comfortable LOB I have ever experienced, spacious and beautiful and wonderful diving. Maybe it is because I m getting older, but I am just ready to get off the boat after a week.

Last edited:
My last LOB to Raja Ampat was a 12-day trip. It went over so fast & I'm chartering the next one for 13-day trip in 2017. It's perfect length of time for a two-week trip including the 3 weekends for us traveling half around the word to get to the destination.

Of course the boat one picks should be a lot more comfortable than the Explorer Ventures in T&C (for example ) to be able to fully enjoy the 10 days.

Interesting. Both my Caribbean live-aboards were 7 day Aggressor trips (Cayman A. IV & Sun Dancer II), and I took them to be just fine. While there are a range of options in some exotic ports, how are the boats a lot more comfortable?

Don't know whether I'll ever be blessed to make it to Komodo or other Indonesian areas, for example, but I'm curious what the 'on the boat' experience is like compared to what I'm used to. Aside from my recollection people are more likely to dive off smaller boats rather than the main live-aboard yacht itself.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom