Bonaire: Single diver looking for dive buddies, Dec.6-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again for your advice, DiverSteve! :) To be honest, I was a little worried about all the bad reviews about Habitat on TripAdvisor. But, I'll give it a try!]

I've stayed at Habitat about 25 times because we like the dives out front over other resorts. I, too; have seen the reviews on TripAdvisor. Many of the negative reviews are from those who stayed in the oceanview hotel rooms near the pool. They were in bad shape, but have now been renovated and the one my sister stayed in last August looked great! We were in a 2br/2ba Bungalow and it was nice as well. The best rooms at Habitat are the Oceanfront Junior Suites as they are the newest.

At DEMA last month, I talked with the manager at Budget rentacar on Bonaire. He told me that a Budget office is opening at Habitat this month!

We are returning to Habitat next August for 1 or 2 weeks. It's a DEMA special!! PM me for more info.

BTW, the upgrade to an automatic pickup at ABCar Rental is <$40 for a week. (At least for a week in May.) $240 extra / week seems out of whack.

Thanks, Dberry! I will look into it.

To be fair, I was looking at the dive and stay package with Buddy's. From what I gather, they have their own manual vehicles, but have to subcontract out the automatic. Either way, I agree it is whack. :idk:

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2015 at 02:53 PM ----------

Not sure what shop you are using, but ask the staff if they know of single divers looking or perhaps an open friendly group. ASK people, I can't tell you how many times people have simply asked 'can I dive with you?' If we are aware you are a newbie or single diver or never done a night dive we may actually even ask if you want to join us (and we are not socially inclined). Boat dives are a great opportunity to scout potential buddy and conversely people you don't want to be near.

Thanks, Jersey! Yes, the more people I talk to, the less worried I am about finding a buddy. I will be doing 6 boat dives, but don't think I will have a vehicle... hope that is ok. Diversteve thinks so.

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2015 at 03:06 PM ----------

Not trying to be overly serious about this fun thread but I think I can safely argue that learning scuba rescue skills is never a waste of time, no matter where you do it. I'm disappointed to see it being trivialized here.

Learning new skills in conditions where you're most likely to use them is a time-honored best practice, especially in scuba diving.

Many thanks to Diversteve, Lorenzoid and Wwguy for your advice re: rescue diver course.

I have always planned to do it at some point. It is highly recommended by many experienced divers with whom I have dived. It is possible to do anywhere, as Lorenzoid has pointed out. However, being a wimpy, fair weather diver (i.e. warm water, tropical), I have never dived in Canada. The coldest I've ever dived was 16C (60F) and my whole face was blue when I came out of the water! So you are correct in ascertaining that Bonaire is no more or less an investment of time and money than any other warm-water destination. Better in Bonaire at a resort than a live-aboard which is normally my choice when diving alone.

Also, it will occupy my time somewhat rather than standing at a rinse tank looking forlorn!
:D

Taking all that into consideration, I have signed up for the course! If you see a short Asian girl lugging DM's ashore, you'll know it's me! :wink:

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2015 at 03:52 PM ----------

Thanks again for your advice, DiverSteve! :) To be honest, I was a little worried about all the bad reviews about Habitat on TripAdvisor. But, I'll give it a try!]

I've stayed at Habitat about 25 times because we like the dives out front over other resorts. I, too; have seen the reviews on TripAdvisor. Many of the negative reviews are from those who stayed in the oceanview hotel rooms near the pool. They were in bad shape, but have now been renovated and the one my sister stayed in last August looked great! We were in a 2br/2ba Bungalow and it was nice as well. The best rooms at Habitat are the Oceanfront Junior Suites as they are the newest,

Thanks for your reassurances, Jimw. Fantastic, I AM staying in the junior suite! :banana:

I did read the most recent reviews on TA, and they seemed good. Sounds like they have new management since the summer? Glad to hear it directly from you, nevertheless!:)

Lots of yall near Hamlet it sounds like. We rented the Sunset Villa the 5th through the 12th. Like someone else, we were hesitant to make commitments to anyone for a couple of reasons. We're a few doors down from Dive Friends. And we'll be having dinner on the shore almost every night! Look for the group of fat people lol. I'll be the one covered in Tattoos.

Lots of yall near Hamlet it sounds like. We rented the Sunset Villa the 5th through the 12th. Like someone else, we were hesitant to make commitments to anyone for a couple of reasons. We're a few doors down from Dive Friends. And we'll be having dinner on the shore almost every night! Look for the group of fat people lol. I'll be the one covered in Tattoos.

You're going to love that villa. I'm just sayin'...

Never in my life have I had such good customer service. I'm ready. Less than 72 hours.

Nice to hear from you, DustyC! Enjoy your trip! I will look out for your tattooed self (you are assuming you are the only one).:D

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2015 at 07:59 PM ----------

An Update: Habitat is too busy to offer the Rescue Course - allegedly they are shorthanded. So now I'm waiting to hear back from Dive Friends and Buddy's. :depressed:

If it doesn't work out, you'll find me at the rinse tanks looking forlorn....:blinking:

Nice to hear from you, DustyC! Enjoy your trip! I will look out for your tattooed self (you are assuming you are the only one).:D

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2015 at 07:59 PM ----------

An Update: Habitat is too busy to offer the Rescue Course - allegedly they are shorthanded. So now I'm waiting to hear back from Dive Friends and Buddy's. :depressed:

If it doesn't work out, you'll find me at the rinse tanks looking forlorn....:blinking:
In my group I'm the dirty inky lol and I'm planning on getting ink there if they're still open.

And my group of 12 is a couple of doors down from you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom