Bonaire -- Spare Tire Stolen From Truck at Something Special

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite a few Visa and Mastercard travel-branded cards (think American Airlines and others) have recently backed off on rental coverage, watered them down and or eliminated them. I'm not sure if that has extended to other branded cards, but it appears to be an overall trend from Visa and Mastercard to back off on a lot of benefits such as cash-back, points and other things.

Those poor guys gotta make a buck somehow....it's gotta be tough out there.....snort....

As for me, unless it's a work trip (where corporate covers the bill), I go full meal deal on the coverage and stop worrying about dings or what have you. It's a vacation which means I pay to not worry.

I’m confused. I’m US based. Are you saying when I use my Visa card to pay for a rental in a foreign country, I’m always covered but not so in the US?
At least under the Barclay's CC, the insurance provided will be primary insurance when not in your home country but will be secondary to any other insurance in your home country. I believe your own personal auto policy may provide coverage when you drive a rental (certainly the Barclay's policy implies this). There could be other sources of insurance as well when driving in your home country ie employers etc. Secondary means you have to go through and exhaust primary insurance before any coverage would kick in on a secondary policy. Again, this is generally speaking. Each policy and each state's own laws may change this. TK

I literally just came in from Something Special and am enjoying a Bright as I type this. I can say that I did not see your spare tire anywhere on the site I covered. Some eels, one really cute drum and lots of busy fish. Sorry about you getting dinged on the tire. It's hard to believe that a spare is worth that much to a thief.

As for me, unless it's a work trip (where corporate covers the bill), I go full meal deal on the coverage and stop worrying about dings or what have you. It's a vacation which means I pay to not worry.
. This is the conclusion I am coming to as well.

. This is the conclusion I am coming to as well.

Five years ago we had the same thing happen to us at ANDREA. My son and I were underwater. My wife was snorkeling 200 feet away and watched them do it -- all in about 30 seconds. They even stole our lunch -- which really ticked us off.

We filed a Police Report and notified Poppy (aka Telerin). She gave us another truck and never dinged us for the stolen spare. Said it happens all the time -- and that was in 2014.

Had the battery stolen out of my rental truck 50 foot from the office at Captain Dons. $150. The front desk seemed pissed that I would bother them about this. They were really totally uninterested. Their security totally sucked.

Geez, you guys sure make it sound like the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Geez, you guys sure make it sound like the juice ain't worth the squeeze.
No, not by a long shot. Bonaire is still my favorite place. You just have to be prepared and cautious. Like the bumper sticker says :Sh*t Happens". Just hate it when it happens to me!

Back
Top Bottom