Bonaire tips - anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torcatdog

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wife and I looking for a get away. Bonaire tops our list!

History - Coz, Bahamas, Patient, healthy/fit, briefing attentive, good bouyancy, computer/ own equipment, not fussy, luvin the critters and a new view.

Questions;
1. Minneapolis to Bonaire tips
2. Orientation/ dive the first day considerations
3. pick-up or minivan for 2?
4. Night diving tips?
5. Current?
6. Really looking for a daily routine, what to expect.
Thanx-TCD

Torcatdog:
Wife and I looking for a get away. Bonaire tops our list!

History - Coz, Bahamas, Patient, healthy/fit, briefing attentive, good buoyancy, computer/ own equipment, not fussy, luvin the critters and a new view.

Questions;
1. Minneapolis to Bonaire tips

You might want to look into direct Continental flights out of Houston or Newark first then pursue flights from Miami or San Juan.

2. Orientation/ dive the first day considerations

Depending where you stay orientations can happen twice a day or instantaneously (remember island time though and nothing happens fast). Unless you come in on a late flight you might be able to get in dives on your day of arrival.

3. pick-up or minivan for 2?

Most places offer some sort of drive and dive package. The trucks here are most Hilux Toyota's. Very easy to cart your gear... More options with a truck IMHO.

4. Night diving tips?

Do the dive in the daytime first, know the entrance/exit and what landmarks you can key on during the dive. Access to dive sites is 24/7 but no one else may be out there so make your plans accordingly. Most of the resorts have house reefs that are nice and easy.

5. Current?

Very few places here have true current. Most are a gentle flow, just enough to give the soft coral movement so you can pick a direction to go. The further towards the north or south ends of the island tend to be affected by more intense conditions. Eden Beach is the most narrow spot between Bonaire and Klein Bonaire so can have some ripping current there as well.

6. Really looking for a daily routine, what to expect.

Get up, listen to the Lora (parrots), eat breakfast, collect gear, dive. Come back for lunch, collect more tanks, dive. Come back, watch the sunset, dive or rinse gear and eat dinner. Sleep. Next day. Repeat process.:14:

Have a great time but be warned that Bonaire can be addicting!

Susan has said just about all of it! In regards to "lovin the critters" Bonaire is a dream for slowing down and looking at all the fish activity and small critters. We usually start deep for a very short time and then work our way up the reef. There is so much to see even right before you exit that my dives average around 35 feet and last over an hour. And I usually have not travelled far! Be sure to check out Susan Porter's book at her website www.bsdme.info. It is the best tool for Bonaire!

Susan pretty much hit it on the head.
Here are a couple of additional thoughts.
Vehicle, truck for sure, vans are a lot more of a pain.
Current, while most of the time it is pretty light, once in a while it will kick up so be aware of changing currents. Also, slight as it may be, always go up current anyway. It makes the return trip a lot easier. Even in a slight current it increases your return speed and reduces your return time a good bit. Pay attention or you will overshoot your exit point.

Night dives, IF your very comfortable on night dives, turn your lights off for some of the dive. It's amazing what you can see and if the bio luminescence is good that night, the effect is magical. I sometimes do 99% of a night dive with the lights off.

Spend time in the shallows. If you slow up (which is a good idea anytime) and look around you will be amazed at the life in the coral rubble in just a few feet of water. My "safety" stops sometimes stretch out to 20 minutes or more watching the small critters in 15 ft of water. The shallows make great places for photo ops for photographers that don't have a strobe.

Just got back from 2 weeks.Take half the clothes and twice the money.

The exceptions to that. I could of used a few more tank/T shirts. Could of drank less beer.

Didn't need and special clothes for after dive or evening.

don O

I sure appreciate all of the great info. Susan, I thank you for addressing each of my questions so well. Just what I was looking for and hoping to hear!
Tori

Torcatdog:

Have a great trip!

By the way, I was with Eric Cheng when he took his famous "screaming turtle" photo on Jim Abernethy's boat in West Palm. Did you know it's been displayed in the Smithsonian? Great choice for an avatar!

Doug

Thanks - I was contacted by Mike V and Rich M regarding permission to use the photo. Eric was gracious enough to approve. I hope to use one of my own photos soon. It is a great shot that expresses (to me) the amazement I feel each time I drop in to the Blue. I did see a picture of the Smithsonian display on Eric's site and Digital Divers.com
Tori

Back
Top Bottom