Bonaire topside stuff in March … current restaurants, after diving spots for a bevera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Scuba ~ we will be arriving same day, though we are at Buddy's. Agreed -can't be here (snowy, cold, northeast) soon enough.
Karels is in the heart of downtown on the water, yes the pier that extends. I like Capt Don's for sitting on the water, make a reservation for a table down on the water. Off the main restaurant level are a series of descending small patios with tables. Much more private then main level, feel like you are hanging over the water, watch the sun set and the tarpon feed. Food is reasonable both in price, quantity and quality. Check out their website. Mona Lisa, Casablanca and Kentucky Fried round out my top 5. We often swing through town (Kralendyck) and pick up Subway when diving in the south. Provides a decent surface interval. Buddy's Pool Bar used to offer a Night Dive and Dine night - I think $12 for a tank and dinner offering one of 2 selections - either shrimp or chicken, with rice and side salad. $10 for just dinner. MUST go to Lovers in the strip mall outside SandDollar for ice cream. Try the Samur - the Thai junk - for a sunset cruise - very strong rum punch, yummy! I've heard they are offering a dinner cruise as well. Check out East Side Diving website for the twice daily runs out to South East side. I can't speak to the conditions as I've never done it, but have heard it can be lake flat or not :D.
Do visit the Donkey Sanctuary, the caves and inscriptions on the central East and if time allows do the park to see the North - quite different from the flat salt pans in the south!

We are taking the Continental, Houston red-eye direct on Friday the 12th at 12:30am - yikes! If you have taken this flight, tips there too are appreciated!

I've taken this flight, and it's sister flight out of EWR several times. The next will be the week before you. I don't have a problem dozing on a plane. You will not get sound sleep for long though. I guess this affects people differently. It doesn't really bother me. After you arrive, there will be delays (customs, immigration, luggage, rental car), just try and go with the flow, relax and rest assured there is nothing wrong, or nothing you can do about this. Upon checking in, inquire when the mandatory Marine Park Orientation will be held. You don't want to miss this, or you'll not be diving until the next day. Where I stay it's usually around 8:00-8:30am, but times vary by locations. Then, if you must, take a nap. Or, start your dive vacation, and possibly get to bed a bit earlier to "recover".

Is that the pier that sort of extends over the water with a bar at the end? I liked that place! Brings back memoires of a cold Polar after a day of diving. As I was a newbie back then, 14 dives for the week seemed like a lot.

Only 18 days to go, which can't get here fast enough!

Yes, Karl's was at the end of that pier that extended over the water a fair distance. But, that was destroyed in Oct 08 by Omar. Karl's has rebuilt, but is just off the street now.

You can drive to the top of the "mountain" - there is a shrine up there ( I forget what it is called) and you can see most of the island from there

You can drive to the top of the "mountain" - there is a shrine up there ( I forget what it is called) and you can see most of the island from there

Seru Largu - great views!

Attachments

• DSC00343.jpg
    DSC00343.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 61

Is this "Mountain" that is spoken of in the National Park Area? I remember some hill top in the park, but thought you had to "hike" up it. There was also this vista place in the park ... when we stopped, I accidentally dropped a few peanuts from the car that I was eating and was "attacked" by thousands of iridescent blue and green lizards.

I am a foodie and food snob so keep that in mind:

• Restaurants not to miss (current)
Mona Lisa Monday-Friday / Bar Hap 13 USD for fish
Wil's Grill Monday- Sat. / fresh fish
Capriccio's closed Tue. / best wine list and pasta
Rose Inn closed Wed. Sunday lunch spot /local eats

• After diving spots for a sunset/beverage
Deco Bar at Rum Runners/Habitat and Mondays is free rum punch and Moogie or Friday at Buddy Dive for rum punch and guess what, Moogie!

• Topside stops and must do's … the Donkey thing sounds fun, which we did not do last time
  • Diving the "other side" ... dive op recommendations. Is it worth diving?
If the winds are light YES YES

• Safety tips (other than the obvious precautions you would use at home) pertaining to Plaza or other
Keep windows down when diving and have a dive buddy stay behind/rotate if you are a group and if you cannot, leave crappy shoes and towels and bring the car key in a waterproof case

Restaraunts - what's still open and what has closed???

I agree with others although not on the water, Will's Tropical was awesome.
We also enjoyed sunset drinks and dinner at Richard's. Please tell me that his place is still open?
Has anything replaced Salsa's? I just read that it closed this summer :dropmouth:

Tip: Go to Welcome to The Bonaire Reporter This is the free local newspaper. They post the cruise ship schedules. Try to plan you trips into town around when the cruise ships are in. It gets very busy with the addition of 2000 people from the cruise ships.

On the east side, by Sorobon, the former head chef at the Plaza (Banana Tree and Tipsy Seagull) has his own restaurant. It is called Wind and Surf Beach Hut Bar and Grill.

Is that the pier that sort of extends over the water with a bar at the end? I liked that place! Brings back memoires of a cold Polar after a day of diving. As I was a newbie back then, 14 dives for the week seemed like a lot.

Only 18 days to go, which can't get here fast enough!

Yea, that's the place. Decent food late, after evening dives also. Know what you mean about fast enough, we're 39 days to CURACAO. Different piers, same Polars:cool2:
Tom & Isabelle

A drive through Washington-Slagbaii Park at the north of the island is well worthwhile; as someone else mentioned already, its a lot different from the rest of the island, and has points of interest to get out & view that make for some great photo opportunities. Take some bananas and squat down & try to get some of the Bonaire Whip-tail lizards to come eat from your hand; we did that (some others already had them going, granted), and my buddy hand-fed a large male iguana (that accidentally bit him in the process; not serious).

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom