Bonaire Trip Report - 9/13/20/2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SO you liked the rooms at Den Leman? Thinking of staying there on my next trip. We stayed at Sand Dollar last trip. The orientation is crazy long. One of the guys in our group asked for us to get the short version. It still lasted an hour. Then we got wet.

I saw rays on 4 of my dives at Bari. I also went looking at other sites and a local told me that Bari was most reliable to see one or two.

My favorite restaurant was Cactus Blue. We actually ate there 3 times for dinner.

Steve:
Nice report- Great photos and info.
I am heading down in 3 weeks ( first trip), staying at BB's Carib Inn. Any suggestions for "MUST BRING" stuff?
I have been shooting Pix for a couple of years now, but the suggestion to take the course sounds awesome. With everything we have invested in equipment, an extra $75 is nothing. I will really try to arrange i when I'm there.
THanks again,
DD:D

Carib Inn is fabulous and Bruce and his staff are all wonderful. You are in for a treat!

"must brings" on my list:
hard soled booties
a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter
bills no larger than 20 US dollars
ATM card for getting cash
extra rechargeable batteries
a relaxed attitude

Just a tip for dining out ... you will not be presented with your check until you ask for it.

SO you liked the rooms at Den Leman? Thinking of staying there on my next trip. We stayed at Sand Dollar last trip. The orientation is crazy long. One of the guys in our group asked for us to get the short version. It still lasted an hour. Then we got wet.

I saw rays on 4 of my dives at Bari. I also went looking at other sites and a local told me that Bari was most reliable to see one or two.

My favorite restaurant was Cactus Blue. We actually ate there 3 times for dinner.

We stayed at Den Laman for 2 weeks this summer and really liked the place. The condos are new, convenient, VERY clean, and very comfortable. It was also really nice to have maid service daily, which even included doing dishes! We enjoyed it so much, we booked the same condo for 2 weeks next summer too. :D

Steve:
Nice report- Great photos and info.
I am heading down in 3 weeks ( first trip), staying at BB's Carib Inn. Any suggestions for "MUST BRING" stuff?
I have been shooting Pix for a couple of years now, but the suggestion to take the course sounds awesome. With everything we have invested in equipment, an extra $75 is nothing. I will really try to arrange i when I'm there.
THanks again,
DD:D

DD,
Here's some things that came in pretty handy:
A small dry box that fits in a BC to carry car keys, room key, a credit card, and a $20.00
We brought our own empty drinking water bottles, filled them half full of water and laid them on their side in the freezer. Filling them up as we left for our dive made for some nice cold water to drink after our dive.
Once we got there we purchased a couple of 2 litre bottles of soda, drank the soda and filled the bottles with water. We'd set the bottles on the hood of the truck while we did our dive. They made for a nice, warm shower to rinse off the salt after a dive.
The obvious - sunscreen and insect replellent.
At Den Leman (and I think this is a common practice down there in many places), they provided bath towels but did not have wash cloths so you may want to pack a few of your own.
I brought my laptop so I could view my pics in the evening and free up the space on my memory cards
If you're going to eat out all three meals a day, bring more many than you think you need. The food is good but it's an island . . . you can find good deals but for the most part the food will be a little more than you're probably used to paying in the states.
I wore my compass but I don't think I ever looked at it.
Get the book, Bonaire Shore Dives Made Easy by Susan Porter. A google search will pull it up. You can also pick it up once you get there.
Look over your truck rental very carefully . . .they will when you return it. Buy the extra insurance.
Eat at Rose's in Rincon.
Get the ribs at BobbeJans.
Be sure to take your camera on your land excursions.

On the camera course, email Tim at Fish Eye Photo in advance. I'm not 100% sure, but my bet is that if you tell him your skill level and what you'd like to accomplish he'll customize the class to meet your needs.

The biggest must have is go down there ready to slooooow down and enjoy island pace and be ready to already start planning a return trip before you even get home.

If I think of anything else that's a must have I'll be sure to post it. Have a great trip. I can tell you that ours exceeded our expectations.

Yes, very much so. It was my first trip down so I don't have any other place to compare it to. But when we return it's likely where we will stay. We really wanted to stay on the water. If that was not a requirement for this trip, we would highly considered Golden Reef Inn. Liz seems to be a first class act. I've conversed with her several times on the board and through PM. I regret not making it by to meet her while we were down there.

On the camera course, email Tim at Fish Eye Photo in advance. I'm not 100% sure, but my bet is that if you tell him your skill level and what you'd like to accomplish he'll customize the class to meet your needs.

Steve, you're spot on with this statement. Tim told us he would customize a session for my husband next year.

Everything else was GREAT advice!

Any suggestions for "MUST BRING" stuff?

My buddy and I brought packets of powdered Gatorade to mix into water bottles before freezing them.

Back
Top Bottom