Bonaire Trip Report And Video - Feb 23rd - March 12th 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lovely video - thanks for posting. My first Bonaire trip is only 6 weeks away, and if we don't see all the stuff on your video I'm going to be disappointed!

Thank you for sharing the video and such an extensive report! I can't wait to be there in ~8 weeks.... What gear did you use for shooting the video?

I can't BELIEVE you were not ROBBED !!!!!!!! LOL...... :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Jim...

Nice video! Thanks for sharing!

I am wondering about the Candyland to Taylormade drift. How did you know where to come out?

It’s a good idea to drive to the end of the rubble ‘road’ and take a look before the dive; take the fork left to Tailormade where the road splits to Nukove. From where the road ends, the exit channels are all clearly marked by either a pile of tires or rocks and coral. I believe there are about three or four exits. I move into the shallows after around an hour (given the current) and surface to take a look around for the nearest exit.

Two things to note -
- on most dives, you’ll probably find that you’ve drifted further than the end of the road, so you’ll have to carry your gear back for a few minutes, leave it at the road, and go get the truck parked at Candyland from there. A bit of a process, but certainly worth the minor hassle.

- we’ve always found entering at Candyland more difficult than exiting at Tailormade. There’s lots of rocks and coral to bump into and the footing is quite uneven, so enter with care.

What gear did you use for shooting the video?
I shot with a Canon S120 in an Ikelite housing and also a t3i. It was graded on an Avid Symphony.

BUT my S120 died right after my last dive (good timing…I guess?) And the t3i is really just too bulky, so I’m in the market for a new camera and would love some feedback. Maybe the Sony a6300? I’ll post this question in the proper forum later, but if anyone had any thoughts now…

Thanks for that! You had some excellent dives!

BUT my S120 died right after my last dive (good timing…I guess?) And the t3i is really just too bulky, so I’m in the market for a new camera and would love some feedback. Maybe the Sony a6300? I’ll post this question in the proper forum later, but if anyone had any thoughts now…

Wonderful work with the Canon! I have been toying an idea of getting GoPro for underwater videos & fun dives. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of solid experience on smaller cameras as I shoot with bigger DSLRs (or iPhone when nothing else is around) ...... However, I have heard good things about Sony a6300 (also, see Sony a6300 Mirrorless Camera Announced) as well as their RX100 series.

Wonderful work with the Canon! I have been toying an idea of getting GoPro for underwater videos & fun dives. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of solid experience on smaller cameras as I shoot with bigger DSLRs (or iPhone when nothing else is around) ...... However, I have heard good things about Sony a6300 (also, see Sony a6300 Mirrorless Camera Announced) as well as their RX100 series.

I have the GoPro 3 black... It is so easy to use... Swapping back and forth from video to photo or blast photos underwater does not take but a second... I love mine... And it's so small... Nothing to not like about it...

Jim...

Lovely video - thanks for posting. My first Bonaire trip is only 6 weeks away, and if we don't see all the stuff on your video I'm going to be disappointed!
They saw a lot that most don't (a week trip limits you) you'll enjoy it no matter what.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom