Bonaire versus Cuba: safetywise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adaveke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I've been reading up on these boards in preparation of our trip to Bonaire in March.
Now, it seems that there are a lot of issues with petty crime and people feeling unsafe.
This makes me a bit uneasy I must admit.

I was wondering, how many of you have been to Cuba and Bonaire, did you feel more safe in Bonaire or in Cuba? I'm asking this, because I've been to Cuba a few times and I know how I felt there, if you can tell me how you felt in Cuba I have a frame of reference when I'm reading reports of people feeling unsafe in Bonaire.

Adaveke..The internet has a way of magnifying things. Bear this in mind. We've been going to Bonaire for 25 years & have visited many many other islands (although not Cuba).
In all that time we have NEVER EVER felt unsafe on Bonaire. In fact it's one of the safest islands I've ever been on.
Use common sense and you'll be fine.

I was wondering, how many of you have been to Cuba and Bonaire, did you feel more safe in Bonaire or in Cuba? ... if you can tell me how you felt in Cuba I have a frame of reference when I'm reading reports of people feeling unsafe in Bonaire.

I feel safe in both places. Cuba is Communist and if you give the government a hard time, you could disappear. So I didn't think many of the locals want to mess with this. :wink:

Bonaire is Dutch and as such are members of the E.U. Crime happens, but most likely less than other E.U. countries. The size of the island makes it difficult to fence stolen property or to escape a crime. The locals are friendly, laid back and know each other. Tourism is important to both island's economy.

Like traveling anywhere, you don't flash around wads of money and jewelry. If you use a bit of common sense, you shouldn't have a problem. It's not like traveling in parts of Africa or Asia where you have to be aware of dark places where people stand in-line to beat & rob you. :)

I don't know about Cuba...I'm not allowed to go there. Bonaire has problems with petty crime, but I don't think it qualifies as someplace where one should feel unsafe. If you leave something in your truck while it is unattended, what you left may disappear.

I would pay attention to security of a rental property on Bonaire and look for something where entry by an unwanted guest is fairly difficult. I would not sleep with windows & doors open unless they are inaccessible from the outside. I would also do the same in most other places, though. It hasn't gotten to the point that I would place claymores around the property.:wink:

As things are now, I would not hesitate to travel to Bonaire with my family.

I've never been to Cuba, but during my time in Bonaire, I always felt safe. Again, petty crime seems to be the standard if at all. Most of the dive operations will remind you to lock your car and take your keys with you when you park for a shore dive. Apparently its common for people to steal from unlocked cars. But thats just what they told us, we never had a problem.

As mentioned above , all things being equal , using common sense , crime is a non issue for me on Bonaire . I also feel safe anywhere on the Island which is uncommon on other islands I have visited . Even on the Hawaiian Islands there are areas I felt uneasy .
Bonaire is great , I caught Dengue Fever there last March and the skeeter is my worst fear there now . enjoy

You will have a safe and very enjoyable time! You have read all about leaving vehicle windows down, avoiding remote sites, leaving only an old T-shirt in the car while diving, etc. Not legal, but I didn't even carry my driver's license when driving to dive sites. I have a waterproof (usually!) pouch that I wear around my neck to carry car keys and maybe $40 in cash. I left a spare battery for the camera in the vehicle, which fortunately didn't get stolen when sunglasses (cheap) and car battery were taken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom