Trip Report Bonaire video and trip report - April 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . . A few new dining highlights were the fresh local sushi at Osaka and the tasting menu at La Terrazza right in town. . . .

Hmm ... intriguing. Local fish at a sushi restaurant? Okay, next time someone new to Bonaire asks about food, I may need to think twice before my usual reply that Bonaire restaurants are humdrum. Maybe my perception has been tainted by experiences that are now maybe 10 years old--when we decided cooking for ourselves was the way to go. Local fish, including lionfish? Gourmet food trucks? Perhaps things have changed.

I definitely agree Van den Tweel rocks--nicer than our local supermarket at home. I remember the challenge of finding anything fresh at the old Cultimara (closed in 2011).

Hmm ... intriguing. Local fish at a sushi restaurant? Okay, next time someone new to Bonaire asks about food, I may need to think twice before my usual reply that Bonaire restaurants are humdrum. Maybe my perception has been tainted by experiences that are now maybe 10 years old--when we decided cooking for ourselves was the way to go. Local fish, including lionfish? Gourmet food trucks? Perhaps things have changed.

Things have definitely changed in recent years. I came to the same "let's cook for ourselves" conclusion on our first trip in 2012 after being less than impressed with the restaurants. But each year since, it seems we've found one or two new places per trip that we love.

As for Osaka, the local fish they serve changes day to day pending on what the fishermen bring in the morning. They had wahoo and bass one dinner, tuna and barracuda the next. If you've never tried it, they also grind fresh wasabi root at the table. It's awesome.

La Terrazza is a new place and a wonderful dining experience--no menu, just small plates with wine pairing. Each course is ten dollars and you can have as many as you'd like. The food and wine were great.

I still wouldn't consider Bonaire a foodie destination. Far from it. But there are a few wonderful dining options I would put right up there with NYC restaurants.

Last edited:
You might regret offering a pest
POST PRODUCTION

- In terms of color grading, the single most important adjustment is white balance, and remember, one can white balance off something that is white, black, or middle gray. I used to ask my wife to carry and flash a full film color slate, but she quickly put an end to that. But even so, there's plenty to balance on--sand, my wife's tank, her black wetsuit, or the small white slate I carry with me (hold it as far from your camera as possible when setting the WB).

The white balance process is slightly different per software. A quick note on that--I see little reason to not use one of the ‘professional’ industry standard editing software as they're all now either inexpensive or a version is available for free. These are Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere, or DaVinci Resolve. I suppose some would include Final Cut in that as well. I'm actually currently writing an article on this topic for a diving magazine. If you’re interested, I'll let you know when it comes out.

So to sum up, the recipe for accurate colors is proper lighting when possible (sun, lights); add in white balancing your camera in production (this includes the use of a red filter when needed); and finally mix in a color grade in post production. While it sounds complicated, these are the same steps in shooting good footage on land.

Reach out with any questions--I'd be happy to talk more.

you might come to regret making that offer :) I've been struggling with color correction since I started shooting, but I think part of that has to do with the fact that I am trying to do this with a GoPro Hero 3+ which seems to have the electronic equivalent of turrets when it white balances video. I switched to no white balance (I think it calls it a "Flat" color profile, but I could be wrong) and get somewhat better results now. I really want a proper camera that will allow me manually to set it on camera. That's going to have to wait until I have the budget to get the right camera.

Bonaire is a dive destination. NYC has fine dining.

When on Bonaire you should be eating Kabritu Stoba.
Thanks for clarifying that.
To your point, @Lorenzoid--through our trips, we've often found our favorite meals out are of the local variety. If you haven't tried Surinamese food at Grace Place, you need to on your next trip. And Maiky Snack is great, though a bit out of the way.

Last edited:
I really want a proper camera that will allow me manually to set it on camera. That's going to have to wait until I have the budget to get the right camera.
A great option on a lower budget would be the Olympus TG5. You can set your own white balance, and it's one of the few cameras that have an underwater preset that works pretty well.

Really, I'm trying to be tactful, but foodies gotta be aware of what they can sometimes come across like to the rest of us. I've seen New Yorkers call Pasa Bon pizza mediocre. Well of course it is when compared to what's available in NYC.

Bonaire is a dive destination. NYC has fine dining.

When on Bonaire you should be eating Kabritu Stoba.

Exactly.

To your point, @Lorenzoid--through our trips, we've often found our favorite meals out are of the local variety. If you haven't tried Surinamese food at Grace Place, you need to on your next trip. And Maiky Snack is great, though a bit out of the way.

Exactly the kinds of places we have sought out. We always make a point to eat lunch at Maiky Snack, which is probably the best known (to us visitors) of the "snack" places. We also like that place in Rincon--Rose Inn?--on the days we make a northern loop.

But it's good to know there are now more options in Bonaire than the snack places for people who like interesting, locally sourced food. (Still intrigued by the sushi place you mentioned with locally sourced fish.)

(Still intrigued by the sushi place you mentioned with locally sourced fish.)

I don't understand. It's legal to fish for tuna off-shore isn't it?

choiahoy, Great video by the way.

choiahoy, Great video by the way.
Thanks.

Not sure about the legality of fishing for locals, but there are a few places where you can buy the day's catch from fishermen--one near dive hut and another on the way to Sorobon. I'm assuming there are different regulations for local fishermen?

Back
Top Bottom