Bonica Seashell SS-1 (semi) universal housing - anyone tried it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eriikthered

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking about picking up this housing, as I currently have a Fujifilm Finepix F20 and housings specifically for that camera are nowhere to be found. But the Bonica Seashell SS-1 has zero user reviews online, that I can find, so I guess I will be a guinea pig.

It seems like a decent option for non-photographers such as myself. I'm sure those of you who need all the controls (the Seashell only has power and shutter controls) would hate this, but all I really care about is getting some decent photos on my dives.

Still, if anyone has tried it out I would love to hear your thoughts.

The one online review I could find here.

Bonica makes decent UW stuff and it would probably work, but to me you're better off getting a second camera for underwater and a dedicated housing. Without a flash, you're limited to depths above 30' to get a decent shot. You can get a camera/housing combo for about $300 these days and you'll have more options and better function.

hi there. I am also thinking about getting the seashell ss-1 and looking for feedback as well. did you get it in the end? :)

I ordered it but am now returning it. I was thinking it could be okay to use with a few different cameras, should I ever get a new one. However, that was misguided logic because the inserts you use to fit your camera in the housing are permanent. What's more, there are no instructions for setting foam pads and spacers whatsoever included in the manufacturer's packaging.

So bottom line was I was seeking something super simple but the lack of information online combined with glaring ommissions in the product itself have led me to reconsider my approach.

Also, it doesn't appear that Bonica actually makes these anymore.

There are reports that the Fuji F20 works well in the Fuji housing made for the F30/F31 (part # WP-FXF30). Some of the buttons aren't available, but for stills, there is no problem. I can confirm that the control layouts of the F31 and F20 are near identical, as well as the dimensions. Used units turns up on Ebay from time to time, so patience is required ...

Back
Top Bottom