Bonne terre mine diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I havnt' been to BT yet but really want too.

Do they really require you to were gloves, and hoodies? I find those to be a waste of time and money unless I went diving in the artic. I would like to just were a shorty when I go but I highly doubt they would get around the full wetsuit rule lol

My girlfriend dove Bonne Terre dry, which I thought was overkill, but meh. Most of the divers there were in 7mm with hoods. I believe Bonne Terre is 60F throughout, which would be a bit chilly for me to wear a shorty, but to each his own.

Some of my friends hate gloves; one of them carries a pair in case he gets cold, but I've been in 46F with him and he kept them in his (drysuit) pocket.

I dove in bull sholes with just a shorty(6.5 mil) when the water temp was 55 at the surface. I just think gloves and hoodies are a waste of money unless I'm going to be diving in the arctic. :)

You must have never dove cold water. I would love to see you dive NJ in a shorty, no hood, no gloves!!! But if your tolerance to cold is like that your the best. That shorty works in the pretty water, ALL diving isn't the same. You'll be cramping and someone will have to come save you, unless your a Navy Seal !!!

I did haigs quarry nude(trunks only)... that was a little rough LOL.

I consider "cold water" diving where theres ice in the lake/ocean.

When I was at bull sholes when it was that cold...it really wasn't THAT bad. When we sat on the surface waiting for people to get in thats when it sucked. But once we got under the water and started kicking I was fine.

The only thing worse then th water temp was the visablity. With all the rain that year the lake was up 40' and the visablity was ****. 5 to 15' if I remember right...would have to go back and check my logs. Saw lots of fish though, which was a plus.

Some of the people who were trying to get their AOW were a little mad since when they did their deep dive the visablity was 1ft. So dark and I guess it got REALLY cold down there. Couple of them kinda freaked out and canceled their deep dive. either way good times good times.

One guy jumped in with just his trunks. just to swim for a second..I think someone gave/owed him money for doing it? I think I got that on video too.

I know I wouldn't be comfortable without a hood and gloves. The water at Bonne Terre is 58°F. During the treasure hunt dives, many of us found that you can pick up chips alot faster without gloves. Some people would only wear one glove and pick up chips with the un-gloved hand.

The normal trail dives run about 50 minutes long or so. By the end of the dive, most people were getting pretty chilled (even with wet-suit and hood). I dove dry. The first 10 minutes of the dive is cold because you have a surface swim out, and then you have to do a skills check. We sat on bottom for about 10 minutes waiting on everybody to get their skills complete. Doing nothing (like hanging for deco), tends to get you cool quicker.

Greg

We were at Bonne Terre in June. No one with the mine said anything about what kind of thermal protection to wear; the dive leaders dove dry. I was in a 7mm wetsuit with hood and was never uncomfortable but I do most of my diving in Michigan. Two of the divers with our herd had never been in "cold" water before and quit after the first dive. One of them couldn't use her fingers to take the reg out of her mouth! Whatever you wear be prepared to stand around waiting in it for a while before the entire group is ready to hit the water.

I dove with hood and gloves, and a 5mm. I thought it was a bit chilly especially after the 2nd dive.

Back
Top Bottom