Bonne Terre Mine, MO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Goddard:
Let's put it this way. I've been defending them against obvious slander in this thread. But I do think the CS is less than perfect. There is a term that was blocked from SB a good while back so I can't use it. But lets just say I would consider then dive "germans from a major war a good while back".

I personally, prefer a less hands on approach. I like to do my own dives, not be subjected to a bunch of rules. Still the rules there are designed to make an environment that is not a rec dive, safe for rec divers.

Yes they are rigid in their rules, yes they are expensive, yes you should try it and decide for yourself if you want to go back. Everyone who is even close should try it at least onece.

James
sorry this is not bgray

As being planned, we made two dives in the drysuit. There were three safety divers for our group. We have been told that some members are complaining about their attitude and price. Our group leader, Mike (I think) was a very helpful and kind guy. When we had the weight and buoyancy problems in the first dive, he was taking care of all divers very well. Vis was great, but 100ft must be overrated. Our dive times were about 35 min at the trail 1 and 36 min at the trail 3, respectively. We didn’t practice any air sharing and mask cleaning exercises at the trail 1. It seems that our group members were relatively experienced divers except my buddy.:07: And, it was enough to deal with the new gear, “dry suit.” But, I am wondering if it was a relatively shorter than the regular priced dive? We were kind of pushed to catching up the behind the schedule for the evening dinner @ 6 p.m. So, there were no attitude and price issue to us. We didn’t have a chance to talk with Doug, owner, though.

In addition, I have been waiting for “bigblue63303,” but I don’t get any responses yet. As I mentioned, I would like to be objective on the issue that “bigblue63303” raised. So, I brought the safety record that is displayed at the mine (please see the attachment). He seems to refer that record first time.

It was a fun fun and fun except a long drive………

Attachment;

1. Safety record
2. Main entrance
3. Main office
4. Mule entrance
5. Souvenir store
6. Mine tour rate
7. Locker
8. Boat

P.S. I met "AL," not AL80 :wink:

raviepoo:
Has anyone ever been there? Rodales listed it as the best dive in the state. I don't trust Rodales because I know that advertising is their bread and butter. But my mom lives in St. Louis and I wouldn't mind diving when I go to visit her. Can anyone tell me anything about diving the mine?

Yea, I've been there. I've never dove off of any of the cliffs, but then again I'm not crazy...well...okay, maybe a little. But really, it's a lot of fun there. It's mostly people just float around in inertubes and drinking beer. Deffinately more of a party spot.

it is absolutely worth checking out. i went there last month and its gorgeous for being 180 feet underground. the water is a constant 58 degrees, but i was diving with some guys wearing 3 mils. the water is crystal clear, and electric blue from the surface due to all the lights. i went there last month and ill definitly go back. they only dive on the weekends though so make sure u go them.

enjoy

Yea, I've been there. I've never dove off of any of the cliffs, but then again I'm not crazy...well...okay, maybe a little. But really, it's a lot of fun there. It's mostly people just float around in inertubes and drinking beer. Deffinately more of a party spot.

okay, I see this post was dug up from 4 years ago, but this quote is not about Bonne Terre Mine. I think you are thinking of either Mine Lamotte or Johnson's Shut Inns.

I have just done 6 dives at Bonne Terre. I like the surrounds,the viz and the volunteer staff have been great! I agree with those who protest the no refunds regardless policy but this is not the first time that I have been met with that rule. The price is what it is...we all know it going in and it is a business, after all. I drove more than 7 hrs. and yes, I was drawn also by the affable, instructor Andy, of Columbus Scuba. He adds so much to any dive experience. Bonne Terre is unique and is a good way to get/stay current in the winter!

Excellent Bonne Terre Dive Weekend - Exceeded All Expectations

A friend and I recently spent a weekend diving the Bonne Terre Mine and we absolutely loved it! We’re still talking about how much we enjoyed this unique and interesting dive setting. Bonne Terre is a huge mine which flooded after being abandoned after over 100 years in operation. It’s cave-like with lots of old mining equipment still in place. The mine slowly filled with water after the pumps were turned off when mining ended. It boasts crystal-clear fresh water with 100+ foot visibility. Lighting is artificial from above, but interesting. It’s augmented by the guides’ powerful lights underwater. Special kudos to Josh - his sweeping dual light presentations would make Hollywood proud! (And they made me laugh underwater =). Huge 200 feet high pillars, vistas, archways, caverns, rooms, tunnels, and mining structures make for stunning visual effects. It’s really unusual and claims over 17 miles of shoreline throughout the mine. No aquatic life (okay, one very lonely, odd looking fish named “Bonnie”) and very little silt. Bonne Terre is a well-run dive operation with a focus on safety. The bookings were friendly and easy with Tom and Doug providing accurate information from the West End Dive Center (I had lots of questions as I was schlepping my gear in from California). The mine’s staff was simply incredible and added a lot of depth to our weekend. We had great teams on each day. Saturday began with a thorough dive briefing in the dive office followed by an in-water skill check (buoyancy check, mask removal/replacement, buddy breathing) before the first dive. “Buzz” and John guided eight divers around on the three dives (Buzz lead the group with John tagging behind as the safety diver; a third staff member tendered the group following above in a kayak). On Sunday, the Terrific Trio of Josh, Sherri and Katie led our smaller group of three divers. Each guide shared an obvious passion for the mine, its history, the dive routes, route discoveries, etc. between dives. Their descriptions added a lot of interest to each dive and it was a pleasure experiencing that excitement during our own dives. All dive trails are guided; there are no self-exploration dives, but the variety and unusual nature of the site keeps it interesting. Skill level is intermediate to advanced when considering depth (dives at 60-70’ in depths of up to 130’), overhead environments (tunnel routes, caverns and swim throughs), night dive conditions (the mine is naturally dark, 65 steps underground, cyalume sticks provided for the dives), super-cold water year round, and the need for finely tuned buoyancy skills (“keyhole” swim throughs, several narrow tunnels requiring strategic placement). There’s no surge, current or thermocline, and it’s a great place to work on buoyancy. This is cold-water (57 degrees) diving, so plan to layer up or consider a dry suit. I wore 7mm wetsuit, a Lavacore vest, a thick dive skin, full hood/booties/gloves and needed every bit of that protection. One diver in our Saturday group opted for a shortie suit without hood or gloves and was miserable, aborting both of his dives midway. We took the first 6 trails in the series, diving the max 3 dives each day. There are about 38 routes in total with increasing levels of depth and challenge. The trails are offered in order, so few divers experience the higher numbers unless they are repeat visitors. High season is Winter, summer is the slow season. I’d recommend avoiding the crowds to get the best visibility and variety/guide access on tours. Overall a great experience and a great weekend with a wonderful dive operation. We can’t wait to dive the Bonne Terre Mines again.

Most memorable features:
-“The Structure” – a giant frame for an elevator shaft, reminiscent of an oil rig structure. Great lighting effects from afar and when you’re inside of it.
-“The Stairways” – used by workers in the mine, well preserved wooden structures.
-“Redwood Forest” – a vast area with huge pillars looming above in the darkness – spiritual!
-“Champagne Bubbles” - effect from our bubbles trapped in the cavern below filtering through holes in the rock on the level above (dizzying beauty!)
-“Smoke” effect when rusting iron equipment has a cloud of red around it; my brainy dive buddy dubbed it a “ferrocline”
-“The Jackhammer”-still protruding, abandoned in a from a rock.
-“The Chapel” – a smaller chamber (offered on Sunday diving only =) dotted with white crosses that marked dynamite spots
-“Catfish Kettle” – a local fish restaurant was affordable, friendly and delicious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom