Bonne Terre Mine Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to be clear...I've dove the mine. If you go down there thinking there is limited overhead issues you are wrong. Much of the diving has no access to the surface unless you stay in the initial trails. BTM wasn't for me, so I will never be back, but for many they really enjoy the diving. I tell people to do the dive and make their own conclusions. Yes, it has to be regimented and I agree 100% with this. They cannot allow people to simply go where ever they want because it is too easy for people to get lost and with limited access to the surface this would be deadly. I think a lot of negativity with the mine comes from their scheduling policies and maybe a few uncalled for comments made by maybe some of the DM's and ownership. My experience was that they were very professional and respectful, but I've heard others say the opposite in their experience. Again, you need to do the dive yourself and make your own conclusions.

There is no doubt that I would love the florida caves.I think the thing I like about the mine is that it was carved out by man.Some was done by hand using sledgehammers,handheld drills and tnt.There is so much history to see.

Agreed. Very different diving experiences.

I've done plenty of dives in BTM - unique diving to be sure. On the other hand - you don't need to go all the way to Florida for excellent springs. Cannonball Cave in Poplar Bluff, MO has beautiful natural structures (arches, interesting rock and silt formations, and many colorful layers of sediment.) It's a beautiful cave - and the pit with it's concentric rings dropping down to 280 feet is a very exciting place to dive. Roubidoux Springs in Waynesville MO is also a very interesting cave - which the OCDA has spectacularly pushed back 7000 - 8000 feet. Looking forward to getting trimix training so I can explore beyond the 130' depth limit here. And Bennett Springs - although just a cavern dive for most - is really a fun and interesting spot near Lebanon, MO. LOTS of fish - and a very easy, shallow dive open to cavern certified divers.

I suppose one of the most significant differences about natural environment and BTM is that the water in natural springs tends to support life - providing an opportunity to see a variety of fish, crayfish, and other fauna. The low oxygen content of the water in BTM makes for a very sterile dive - although it does tend to preserve artifacts. I think there may still be one poor fish alive down there that Donna keeps feeding. :)

Mine La Motte is another abandoned mine which I look forward to exploring this year. Can't say much as I've not been yet - but I'm excited to check it out.

Bottom line - for those of us in the Midwest with overhead training - there are lots of fantastic resources available.

Bjorn

Most of the certifications are from students of West End Diving, however there are many shops that bring their students to the mine (especially in the winter)
The reason they ask for cert and drivers license is the local emergency medical crews not only want the information on your C card, they want the information on your drivers license.

Great write up by the original poster as well as many of you others who have been there. Thanks for the detailed explanations.

So I guess I ask this, I'm a relatively new diver (been diving since 2008 and the majority of my dives have occurred since 2011). Are all of the first dives that one would do in BTM have an available overhead air source? I guess I'm a little nervous about this now. DH and I are planning to head down there in late March (after I've purchased my dry suit...I'm dry suit certified but don't own my own) and do the 5-dive package. It sounds safe to me but I guess I don't get how they could get away with this if there is no overhead air. I've been on their site many times but I'm starting to get a little confused. :)

Please help this dumb poster...

Great write up by the original poster as well as many of you others who have been there. Thanks for the detailed explanations.

So I guess I ask this, I'm a relatively new diver (been diving since 2008 and the majority of my dives have occurred since 2011). Are all of the first dives that one would do in BTM have an available overhead air source? I guess I'm a little nervous about this now. DH and I are planning to head down there in late March (after I've purchased my dry suit...I'm dry suit certified but don't own my own) and do the 5-dive package. It sounds safe to me but I guess I don't get how they could get away with this if there is no overhead air. I've been on their site many times but I'm starting to get a little confused. :)

Please help this dumb poster...

There are some areas where there is limited access to overhead air. The dives are highly supervised. I would not worry but you should mention your concern to them when you go.

There are some areas where there is limited access to overhead air. The dives are highly supervised. I would not worry but you should mention your concern to them when you go.

Thanks!

I have booked a 4-dive trip on Mar 23-24 with three other club members. We’re staying at the Depot. I looking to confirm tips I have seen in several trip reports and ask for several questions. BTW, I’ll be diving in a drysuit. Any other advice is appreciated. The list of tips include:
· Rent weights
· Lights and cameras are allowed after the first dive
· Bring lunch
· Suit up topside
· Bring a dry bag for towels, etc.
· Bring something to pass the time (I assuming there is no WiFi or TV in Depot)
My questions are:
· How long is the surface interval?
· Is there a secure place to store items overnight to dry after completing dives? If not where?
· Recommendations for dinner?
· What is the breakfast menu?

I have booked a 4-dive trip on Mar 23-24 with three other club members. We’re staying at the Depot. I looking to confirm tips I have seen in several trip reports and ask for several questions. BTW, I’ll be diving in a drysuit. Any other advice is appreciated. The list of tips include:
· Rent weights
· Bring lunch
· Suit up topside
My questions are:
· Is there a secure place to store items overnight to dry after completing dives? If not where?

It is a good idea to start with 4 dives weekend and have a group going with you. To your tips/questions:

Weights rental is more expensive than in other places but when you have to carry all your gear out after your dives done, cost might not be the decision factor. It is about 1/3 a mile hike and then 68 stairs on your way up. Good news is that you have to carry your gear only twice: on the way in and on the way out after your last dive; it can stay down there on the deck between dives and overnight

For lunch you can do a short drive to a near by Subway/McDonald ; we usually bring water and power bars and stay on site

We always dress topside, they have a heated room to change

Never needed a dry bag or towels in the mine

There are TVs in the Depot (my experience was staying in the train cars) but those are museum exhibits; you will get when you see it. Bring a book, or anything you might do with friends (e.g. cards). If you do 3 dives on day one and one dive on the second day, you will end your first day late, have a dinner and you will be tired so not much time to kill

Surface intervals vary dependent on your dives schedule. Between first and second dive it will be usually a longer one to let you off gas and get lunch, the 3rd dive will be normally shallower and therefore SI is short. Sometimes we choose to stay on the dock and go out for that one.

Your gear can stay in the mine and it will not dry; your drysuit (or wetsuit) you just take to your room where you stay.

As for dinner, it is better to drive to near by Farmington (take south on 67 and exit with 32); much better options than in Bonne Terre. Google "food" before you go and make a list

Not sure about breakfast; last time we stayed at the depot, we had a sealed danish and a small orange juice in a plastic bottle. Now we just bring our cereal and get milk in the local grocery store with some plastic ware.

I hope you will enjoy it though first couple of dives turn some people off. It does change a lot (getting much better) as you keep coming and getting to more advanced trails. The dive staff is awesome.

Have fun!

· Rent weights
· Bring lunch
· Suit up topside
My questions are:

Surface intervals leave little time between first and second dives. Count on getting upstairs, another half hour at most, then back down. After second, there is more time for lunch but be quick.
I didn't store any wet goods topside but, if you dive the next day, you can leave stuff in the mine. It's locked up good. I heard there are lockers but I didn't use them. Ask first and perhaps bring a lock?
I loved Cerritos, a Mexican place. Great food & service & price. I went there twice. I hated Homestead, don't waste your time.There are not many choices unfortunately but there are some fast food restaurants there. I didn't use them. There is also an Italian restaurant near the mine but it was closed on Saturday???. I do hear it's good though.I drove to the next big town where I ate at a barbecue joint. It was OK and there are many more choices if you can drive 30 minutes or so.
Forget breakfast. I ate from the local quick mart. Homestead breakfast was OK but, time wise, you can't make the first dive and enjoy a breakfast IMHO.

I just wanted to thank everyone again for their input (and the OP for starting this). I am one of those overly anal people when it comes to any type of trip and I plan, plan, plan. So any more thoughts, advice, etc., please keep it coming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom