Book recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgl51

Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking at a "well-known" book website and found several "How to" underwater photography.

I would like to know which one(s) you would recommend based on the following:

1) For P&S digital camera (no film; no SLR)
2) Am beginner
3) Would like to limit to one, maximum two books
4) Not looking for a Photoshop "how to" book...yet!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Not sure about finding a P&S only book, but two books I have that I found usefull for getting started with basics are:

Master Guide for Underwater Digital Photography (Drafahl)
The Essential Underwater Photgraphy Manual (Tackett)

(Both available on Amazon)

Thanks for the feedback.
I was looking at the Tackett one as it had been recommended by the store where I am buying my equipment. Will start with that one for now.
I noticed several books with the title "digital photography" in fact are onyl about Photoshop (or image processing) and not about the set-up, lighting tips, etc.. for taking the pictures in both macro and wide-angle!

Jim Church's book on the Nikonos V camera has a lot that any beginner will get a lot of benifit from - lighting, strobe placement, backscater problems, wide angle shots, and basic composition.

These are still as good for digital as they are for film. Start with the basics and then move up the learning curve.

Of course Jim CHurch is worldwide famous for his lifetime work and passion.

You are right I am now looking for the basis so I hope to start underwater with a minimum of knowledge and keep the number of variable low!

I'll start with one of the three books and see from there.

On the Canon corner I'lls ee if there are any tips on settings with the Canon A 710IS.

Thanks for the tip.

Jacques

When I started into UW photography I picked up "The Underwater Photographer" (third edition) by Martin Edge. It helped me quite a bit. However, I cannot compare it to the other books since I have not read them. I just wanted to mention this one since the book helped me and I was happy with my purchase. It references both P&S and DSLR.

my top 3 -
The Underwater Photographer – Martin Edge (3rd Edition)
Successful Underwater Photography – Brian Skerry & Howard Hall
Essential Guide to Composition – Jim Church

Just got the Martin Edge book and from first glance it seems to be well worth the money.

The book by Jim Church is also a reccomended read.

I learned more about UW photography from Martin Edge's book than from any of the others.

Jim Church's book is great for learning about composition -- a more advanced topic, so I would read it after the Edge book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom