Book Review: SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnorris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Jim Lapenta's new book, SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver is a winner. I just finished reading it and I was quite impressed. I'm pretty new to diving, and I've made a point to read as many books as I could get my hands on. Some are good, some are OK, and some are not worth the time. Jim's book is at the very top of the pile!

The book covers a broad range of material, and is very well organized and written. I learned quite a bit, even after reading all the other books. I really appreciate Jim's approach to the subject and enjoyed his writing style. Definitely a "must read" for any beginner and probably many experienced divers as well.

I know with movies they always say "two thumbs up" for the good ones. Not sure if that saying applies to books or not, but this book is definitely tops!

I read Jim's book last week and I wish I would have read it before getting certified rather than 4 years later. His book will point you in a direction to approach your training and how you should be trained. Jim's book will prepare you for your training and you will understand the skills that will be taught. He gives details as to what gear you might purchase and what you should look for in your selection. The question is, do you want to be an OK diver or a skilled diver who will know how to manage gas, plan a dive, have good buddy skills and buoyancy control right after basic open water. If you want to be a confident diver I highly recommend this book.

Jim's book has the wrong title....

"A Practical Guide for the New Diver"....

Heck, the book is a model for trainers/instructors and seasoned divers too. It makes you step back and re-think what it all really means. I am glad to have a copy of this in my library...

WAY TO GO JIM!!!!

I also have begun reading this book and find it is a "need to read" for all. The info contained so far is spot on and to the point. If anyone here on scubaboard has followed any of Jim's comments or opinions they will definitely want this book. True to form it's no holds barred when it comes to teaching and safety. Well done Jim! I look forward to more from you. Again Thanks, Tony

I purposely didn't read Jim's excerpts posted on ScubaBoard since I knew I would be buying a copy.

Wow, I was expecting a book maybe half this size or even less.

My only complaint is it's hard to put down once you start reading. It's been a b*tch finding enough time.

Great job, Jim!

Sounds like fun, lurking here I have always enjoyed Mr. Lapenta's discussions. Is there a difference between the cd and pdf or is the cd just a physical method of delivering the pdf? Also, has anyone tried the pdf on a Kindle; is it legible? Thanks.

The CD is indeed the Pdf on disc. I did that version to meet the needs of divers who perhaps wanted to be able to use it on different computers and for shops that may wish to market it to vacation divers. Some people may not want to carry a print version on the plane home but a CD will fit just about anywhere. I cannot speak to the Kindle issue since I don't have one. I still like paper books. The kindle is something I'm still looking at. There just has not been the demand for it. Maybe putting it on kindle will create a demand on it's own?

Just ordered the pdf version. Will let you know how it looks on the Kindle (I also like books, but it is nice to have more than one book and not have to worry about additional weight/volume).

Back
Top Bottom