Book Review: SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jim,

I take it there are no restrictions on the PDF are there (i.e. for printing)? I would prefer to buy the printed/bound version but considering what the cost for shipping to Australia will be, I think it will be just easier to buy the PDF version and print/bind it here.

Cheers and looking forward to it!

You may print out one copy for yourself if you so choose. You may not print out copies to sell or give away. All that is explained in the email that will accompany your pdf. Thanks for your interest and I understand about the shipping cost.

Brilliant - thanks Jim. Just put an order through on your site.

Got the order. paypal instructions sent. Soon as they say funds are there I will email the file. But it may be tomorrow unless it comes through in the next hour. Bed time for me soon. Work tomorrow morning!

I was going to write a longer review but life has gotten busy in the past couple days and if I wait I will probably never write anything. Anyway, if you have read Mr. Lapenta's comments on this board, you know he is somewhat opinionated about what should be taught in a diving class, and how it should be taught, etc. This book is an expanded edition of these views. It is a worthwhile read for those already certified; however parts of it are even more useful for those who are thinking about becoming certified. I think it might also be worthwhile for interested instructors with other teaching methodologies as well, in part because they should be able to explain why they do things differently. As a product of a warm water 3 day resort course which I believe taught me adequately how to do warm water relaxed diving, I am not sure I would be as definitive as Mr. Lapenta is, then again, he has a lot more experience and is teaching in tougher/less pleasant conditions than the Caribbean. For those who do buy this book before taking their first class, my opinion is that you should realize that just because a course is not as lengthy/detailed as one of Mr. Lapenta's does not mean it is not worthwhile, but with a good instructor in a longer class, you will become a more self sufficient diver quicker (even if you won't be ready to do your warm water dives on next week's vacation). I think an important thing to take away from the book for people interested in diving (and I hope Mr. Lapenta doesn't mind me repeating it here) is that it is beneficial to spend some time researching a class/instructor/store and not just randomly signing up for something. I think the most positive thing I can say about the book is that if I can ever find the time, I would love to take Mr. Lapenta's open water class (or at least an abridged version of it), even though I have my PADI OW and AOW certs and even if he might be horrified by my lack of skills.

PS: I successfully used Calibre ( calibre - E-book management ) to convert the pdf format to Kindle mobi (took under 1 minute). Using the automatic conversion features worked well, but I am sure you could make a nicer conversions spending a little more time. I would assume conversion to other e-reader formats wold also be successful.

FYI: Although certified in the mid 1990s, I only have 70 or so logged dives, with 45 of those in 3 one week vacations in the last 3 years. i have no relationship with Mr. Lapenta other than lurking on this board and reading his comments over the past couple of years and purchasing the pdf from him.

Thanks for the honest review and thank you even more for the e reader conversion info. This is the second independent account that it works and one that I have been hoping for before advising anyone that it was an option.

Bougth Jim's book today, just skimmed it first 20 pages and look it's will be very interesting evening today :)

Back
Top Bottom