Booked: Roatan at AKR October 18-25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mruseless

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This will be our first trip to Roatan!
I just hope its not too rainy. We always go on a trip in October for our anniversary, and I know the Caribbean can be a crap shoot at that time.

I read a few trip reports and other posts about AKR before we booked. They seem to get very positive reviews. AKR is having a killer deal for October, $875 (plus taxes) per person for 7 nights in the best rooms (Key Superior), 3 tanks per day plus 2 night dives.

The only real criticisms seemed to be the large boats. We are okay with that, although we prefer smaller boats. We are hoping that being there in the low season will keep the numbers down a little, but if not it should still be fun.

Do I need to take malaria meds? Anything else I should know?

Eric

You are right about the killer deal at AKR. I don't think there is any better deal financially anywhere else in the Caribbean. We just booked our first trip to Roatan staying at AKR for the week of Aug 30-Sep 6. We'll post a trip report when we get back so you can have an idea of what to expect. We are hoping to get lucky and sneak in before the rains begin.

We are planning to take the Malaria pills just as a precaution. They are recommended by the CDC. I understand the sand flies an no see-uns are a bigger threat in Roatan than Malaria carrying Mosquitos. But my philosophy is better to be safe than sorry. We are taking bug spray with deet and also ordering some of the cactus juice ahead of time to take with us.

We also have done our Hep A and B shots which is also a good idea when traveling outside the US. In fact, it is even becoming a good idea inside the US to have the Hep A and B shots.

I see you are in Denver. We live in Colorado Springs. Maybe someday we'll meet up on a trip. We have probably seen you at A-1 up in Denver. Hope your trip is great and your anniversary is even better.

I took malaria pills one time before we went. Did not even see a skeeter. We even went inland for the zip lines and still did not see any. Your deet will have ya covered. Just be careful with it and don't get it on anything plastic. It will melt it!!!! fast!
PlusAKR is on the ocean so you got the breeze. Bad no see um's. Only around at dusk

The CDC recommends chloroqiune for a good reason. Malaria is quite common on Roatan. I have known many people both American and Honduran who have gotten it. Some people don't attract mosquitos much, others like myself get bitten a quite a bit. I usually get almost as many bites as I do from the noseeums.

For me it is a no brainer. There are almost no side affects for most people and it is a cheap drug. Not worth the risk getting malaria over.

Later, Hawk.

You are right about the killer deal at AKR. I don't think there is any better deal financially anywhere else in the Caribbean. We just booked our first trip to Roatan staying at AKR for the week of Aug 30-Sep 6. We'll post a trip report when we get back so you can have an idea of what to expect. We are hoping to get lucky and sneak in before the rains begin.

We are planning to take the Malaria pills just as a precaution. They are recommended by the CDC. I understand the sand flies an no see-uns are a bigger threat in Roatan than Malaria carrying Mosquitos. But my philosophy is better to be safe than sorry. We are taking bug spray with deet and also ordering some of the cactus juice ahead of time to take with us.

We also have done our Hep A and B shots which is also a good idea when traveling outside the US. In fact, it is even becoming a good idea inside the US to have the Hep A and B shots.

I see you are in Denver. We live in Colorado Springs. Maybe someday we'll meet up on a trip. We have probably seen you at A-1 up in Denver. Hope your trip is great and your anniversary is even better.

I'm looking forward to that trip report!
We do all our business with A-1 in Denver, so hopefully we'll see you there sometime, or as you said, meet you on a trip sometime!

I dive with A-1 as well. And will be at Anthony's key that same week (Aug 30-Sep 6).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom