Booties Question????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crispy

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know of a pair of booties that my have a drain valve in them. (water out only)?

I currently dive warmer climates and usually only wear a .5mil dive skin. It has stirrups around my feet which come in handy when doning especially if I want to wear it along with an additional 3-5mill wet suit for chillier days. When I wear a wet suit in addition to my dive skin I get substantial water pooling in my legs and booties upon exit of water. I thought of simply cutting a small hole in each bootie but figured that it probably isn't that simple though. Any suggestions?

-Crispy

How about taking it off and tipping it upside down?
I'm going to have to add this one to my list...

...it has the mother of all articles about booties. Not a single one has a one way vent/valve to let water out.

Good ideal really, could drive the cost of booties up from an average of $45 to around $60 or so....

You could take a hot soldering iron to them and burn a couple drain holes in them. Less likely to tear than cutting a hole in the boot....

Hey Mech,
I kinda figured I'd get that as a response from somebody:D
It's just a P.I.A. to walk back to my spot on the boat when you have legs sloshing around full of h20. (picture the legs of one of those old overweight ladies that cram size 20 legs in size 10 stockings) The stirups prevent just pulling out on the leg to drian the water especially with tall booties. no problem with my short booties though. however theres a small patch of skin around my heel always exposed.

Frankenmuth,
I probably will try my soldering Iron on them, I just thought that maybe there might be a specialized bootie with some sort of valve. Thanks for the tip.

-Crispy

Crispy (or should I call you Sloshy?), I know exactly what you mean about legs full of water. PITA, and I'd rather leave the water in the ocean than drain it all over the dive deck. Let us know how the holes work out.

Zept

I doubt the post-dive fat-foot syndrome is uncommon. I suffer from it also. I was considering switching to a semi-dry suit boot like the Mares, but I am not sure how it would work with a non-Isotherm suit. I would rather keep the water out during the dive as well as the post-dive slog to my seat because the water moving in and out of the boot during the dive serves to chill. And not in the good California sense of chill.

Crispy once bubbled...

Hey Mech,
I kinda figured I'd get that as a response from somebody:D
It's just a P.I.A. to walk back to my spot on the boat when you have legs sloshing around full of h20. -Crispy

I put my wetsuit leg over the bootie and never had a problem.

MD

Mech,
the stirups on my dive skin wont let me put them over the booties but I do with the Wet Suit. Still a problem though.

I think I will put the holes in the area near the arc of my feet. Thought it might be fun to put at the tip so I have little rooster tails comin from them while they're draining (if it work at all):wacko:

-Crispy

Be careful about cutting holes in your booties. Yes, it will let the water drain out but it will also let sand and small rocks IN. So unless you only dive off the deck of a boat and never walk in them, I'd think twice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom