Boots/Fins for New Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Bare boots and love them. They are quite massive, though, and for my (size 9 women's) feet I ended up with XL Slipstreams for fins. They really are a robust boot, though. I've taken to using them with my wetsuit too (with neoprene socks inside to fill the extra space) in the tropics, also with the giant fins.

But yeah, they look like clown shoes on me :)

If you really want to avoid buying new fins, the wetsuit boot option might be your choice. One thing I found when I went dry, though, was that a bigger, heavier, more solid fin helped out a lot in counteracting the extra drag of the drysuit.

I went the cheap route with Chuck T's. They have served me well for years and lots of dives, but are coming up due for replacement.

The one thing I can say is make sure your socks and booties are put into your drysuit socks before trying the Chuck's on. I had to get a shoe that was 1.5 sizes bigger, and remove the insoles from the Chuck's. Used a heat gun and tore them out.

The connection of the shoe/boot to the fin is extremely important. I can tell the difference from wearing a thin sock to a thick sock inside my DUI 400g booties. I want my fins locked onto my feet, to were I have work to pull them off after a dive.

Spring straps are the best! I wouldn't want to dive a pair of fins without them.

AWESOME info guys!!!! Thanks so much. I do have a fabulous LDS, so I think they might very well exchange my fins (which have only been used a few times - I just got certified last month). That said, I'm ok with getting a second set if getting something heavier that is more appropriate for dry suit diving is a good idea anyway.

And I'm already sold on spring straps - I bought those when I bought my fins and my original fin straps went straight into my Save-a-Dive kit - never been used. :)

I plan on buying some 3 mm booties just like my dry suit has so I can use the same boots and fins. Should be cheaper that way. I hope.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

Divegirl,

Before you take those fins back, are they something you can travel with? Honestly, I think most dry suit divers are going to end up with two sets of fins anyway.

Don't underestimate the CT's. They're very secure on your feet. I've heard stories (but never experienced) about air getting into your feet when using the oversized wet suit boot option.

I think I'm going with the Chucks!!!!! Just made an ass of myself at the mall with my dry suit on 1/2 way (feet in) over heavy ski socks, with my fins, getting the sizing right and verifying that they will fit my fins. Fit like a charm all around! I have pretty substantial fins as it is (Aqualung Slingshots), so I'm hoping they will be sturdy/heavy enough for dry suit diving. I'm hitting up a LDS later this afternoon to see what they have, but at this point I'm pretty stoked about the Chucks.

And if they don't end up working out, I'm only out ~$45, and can then go with the trek boot / new fin option. But really glad to hear the Chucks really are a viable option. I did have to go up 3 full sizes from what I usually wear in Chucks and REALLY loosened up the laces, but doing that really was comfy and I could tighten down securely without being too snug anywhere. And my fin fit fine.

I can (and have) traveled with my fins - it's a tight fit, but they fit perfectly in a wheeled duffel I happened to already have that is looking to be a PERFECT dive travel bag. Fins, boots, BC, hood, gloves, weight belt, mask, snorkel, and the rest of the incidentals (first aid kit, save a dive kit, etc.) fit nicely into it, with room for my drysuit. Second suitcase for clothes and I'm good to go.

I went for your option 1 when I moved to DS. It works great if the 2 boot sizes fit your fins. I have SP jets

I went for your option 1 when I moved to DS. It works great if the 2 boot sizes fit your fins. I have SP jets

Glad to hear this works for you!!!! I went to a LDS today and had an extremely helpful shop owner who fitted me perfectly into a nice set of 3mm boots. Fins fit perfectly, and the set-up is much more comfortable overall than the Chucks. The Chucks worked, but my toes felt a little squished - these boots are perfect - feel like I'm wearing slippers with some traction on the bottom. Until I start doing anything technical at the shore (e.g., very rocky), I think I'm in great shape.

Now to get some training time scheduled in my suit!!!!!!

Chucks were a bit tight for me. So also decided a pair of neoprene booties, which have worked great. Best if they zip up over your ankles to assure they stay on.

I found Scuba Pro Jet Fins heavy enough to prevent floaty feet.

I was fortunate enough to have a pair of hiking boots fail on me... the soles were coming unglued and ripping right off my K-Swiss waterproof hiking boots which I had loved for far too long. The right foot peeled off first, half way through a several mile hike. I'd previously been diving with wetsuit booties over my Whites Fusion with built-in shell feet, and this event created an opportunity for upgrade.

The 5mm Scubapro wetsuit booties had two primary issues. (1) The zipper wouldn't stay up, which is common for me with lots of neoprene booties that don't have a velcro stay for the zipper, and (2) as air got into my feet it would make fin control more difficult since the boots would stretch some and my feet would be flopping around in there, although my feet would be warmer. :)

So with my hiking boots failing, it created an opportunity: A solid dry suit boot with great arch and ankle support that would fit into my existing fins. I ripped the outer soles completely off the hiking boot and rebuilt a new sole using a couple layers of shoe goo. A rugged sole like the one on the DUI Rock Boot is unnecessary for the diving I typically do in So. Cal, and the shoe goo sole over bare leather is plenty good to make it from my car, down the steps, across the beach, and into the water. And its renewable. :) With the original hiking boot sole gone, the toe fits easily into my Apollo bio-fin pocket, and it's turned out to be a very durable solution for the last year or so. In fairness it doesn't dry as quickly as the rock boot, but since these days I only dive one day a week it's no biggie.

Better still? They actually look pretty good! A little like wrestling shoes but way sturdier! (Hey, maybe that's another possible dry suit boot option?) And to think I almost threw those boots away! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom